DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

First off, I know there are a large group of people who are against taking their dogs to dog parks. I'm not one of them. Darwin loves it, and it has really helped him be well socialized. He has also learned to play well with dogs, and gets plenty of exercise because of them. We have had very few bad experiences. So, I know a lot of you may want to say "stop taking your dog" but that isn't really an option for us. Any other suggestions are welcome! 

The new apartment we just moved into has a dog park. I have been so overjoyed about this! It's less than a 30 second walk to a fenced in off-leash area. It's complete with agility equipment, and we just love going there ever night! Now, there is just one problem.

There is a guy at our apartment complex who insists on bringing his dog to the dog park, even though it is extremely vicious. He'll show up, take his dog out of the car, and stand outside the fence staring at you. He waits a few minutes for you to leave, and if you don't, he'll bring his dog in. Everyone I have met tells me they always leave when he comes in. The one time I came across him, he barged right into the park, with his dog off-leash and his dog IMMEDIATELY ran up to and snapped at Darwin. He gave me a dirty look and didn't apologize. Of course, I immediately leashed Darwin and left, before his dog attacked him! 

This dog also doesn't like men, and apparently, has tried to bite the men who bring their dogs there. The guy doesn't care AT ALL. Even if there are numerous dogs playing together, he will force his way in and wait until everyone is scared out of the park. This guy is huge, and according to the other tenants, is NOT a nice guy. People have talked to him about his dog, and he just swears and tries to intimidate them. You know, he's one of those typical short tempered guys who resorts to threats and violence. Scary. 

This is so frustrating because all though I never go there if he is, it just so happens that EVERY time I take Darwin to the park, the guy shows up. I have gone during different times of the day too. It's like he waits for us to come, then barges in. Ugh! 

ANYWAYS, there is a sign right at the entrance of the park that says "all dogs must be well behaved and friendly" he knows it isn't allowed. I am thinking about complaining... but I'm afraid he would react badly. Does anybody have experience with this kind of thing? Any suggestions? 

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you even imagine if we all got together and confronted this loser! Just the thought of all of us putting him in his place makes me smile. It could be the highlight of my Summer....and he'd never be the same. LOL
I wish you guys could come be assertive for me! It's definitely something I have to work on. :-)
I should have added that my condo association has recently issued a new statement in our bylaws that strictly requires all dogs to be on leash - they go on to talk about responsible dog ownership - well behaved, etc....

This is a direct result of numerous resident complaints about one dog in particular that would be let out in the greenway area (nice big open field, but by a busy road) off-leash. Said dog would come barrelling (FAST) toward Taquito and other smaller dogs - not to attack, but definitely could have crushed my poor guy. Anyway, point is, we called Management Company. At least it's in the bylaws....
Since the park is controlled by the management company and they are going to be liable, I feel sure that your complaint will be heard. I would do my homework first and get the jeep's lic. plate and see if I could get the guy's name. I would walk around the complex and try to spot his car so you might have his apartment number. If you don't see his car ever, he might not live in the complex. And that information would be very helpful to management also.
Long story Camilla so I will leave out the details of my recent court appearances. What is relevant is that I had to run a neighborhood campaign to voluntarily come to court and testify against a dangerous neighbor. I went door to door. Now everyone hides when I walk the dogs or come out front... but I did get 4 neighbors to show up in court with the agreement that they would NOT have to give their names--just show up to support my statements. It worked.

At first we organized a meeting. No names. Just come by and give your experiences with "said neighbor" to the sheriff. 21 people attended a Sunday afternoon first meeting.

There are strength in numbers. Law enforcement and a judge--or in your case--landlord can not deny the force. When that many people show up--the ball goes to their court. "You help us now, or you will ultimately be responsible if something happens for not helping us once we complain."

If it is just you, you will look like the trouble maker. The only one complaining. Think of ways you can get these people to come forward. Yep, they will be afraid, so creative ways to get your points across might be the first option. After they talk a few times many become less afraid and are willing to help. But not at first.

We now live in peace here in the neighborhood. He is in jail. If little old me can gather the masses you can too. Good luck.
Oh and yes--as others have said--do your homework. Keep a journal. Names, dates, times, numbers.... get it all on paper. No one can deny documentation once it is presented. I had LOGS. The defense attorney could not deny written documentation.

It may take awhile. It took me from March until July but now, it was all worth the grief.
Congrats to you, Joanne, for being a gutsy lady.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service