DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Post from a friend:

Just when you think my little Sasha looks so cute with that big rawhide bone and how happy she is with it! for three weeks now on occasion I let her play with the stupid thing, mind you I don't ever buy her raw hides, last night at midnight... to the emergency animal clinic! stomach and intestines clogged up, puking her brains out. Under medications now in hopes she passes the raw hide fragments otherwise surgery. this s*** should be banned with as much crap I've read about them online in the wee hours. Sharing this with all you fellow animal lovers..little did I know about this. Priceless needless to say, but no cost outweighs taking care of her.
http://voices.yahoo.com/pet-safety-rawhide-bones-harm-dog-424486.html

Sasha underwent surgery but did not make it. She was only 3yrs old.

I'm trying to spread the word on how dangerous these things are...I never knew they were THAT dangerous!  I personally am never buying rawhides for my doodle again, if only for the mere lack of packaging WARNING indicating the dangerous LEVEL they posses.

Who hasn't wanted to spoil their baby just a little extra with a BIG bone??  If there were warnings on size REQUIREMENTS, perhaps people would be less apt to kill their own dogs out of sheer unkowing delight...

Views: 496

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is a shame that rawhide toys continue to be sold. We figured out a long time ago that rawhide was not digestible.  Luckily for us, it was a happy ending.  Our dog at the time either upchucked or had diarrhea every time he had a rawhide, we were able to figure out that rawhide could not be on his menu.  I am so sorry for your friend.  Thank you for posting. I am sure your discussion will save more than one dog life.

I am so sorry to hear about Sasha. Please, pass along our condolences to your friend.
In total amazement these things continue to be sold. I haven't bought one in years and will never. I have thrown quite a few away....bought by well meaning friends.

What a sad story. I gave up feeding my dogs rawhide long ago because I do feel it is very dangerous.

Yes, I've heard about raw hide and I don't give them to Molly anymore.  I do give her antlers to chew on, she does well on them, she's not obsessive about them.  She loves pig's ears and can devour one of them in about 10 minutes.  Are they a concern like raw hide?

I'm not sure about pig ears but I'd stick to the moderation rule to be safe.

I am so sorry to hear about Sasha.  

I don't give Chance rawhide and antlers, although well-meaning friends will sometimes give him the former.  

I am very sorry to hear about Sasha. I hope many people see this warning and learn the danger of rawhide

So sorry to hear about Sasha.  It really is a question what to give our dogs as chew treats.  My dogs love bully sticks and I do give them to them, but throw away the pieces when they get too small.  I actually put the kitchen timer on for their chew time and they get 20 minutes a day.  A bully stick lasts 3 days (about an hour of chewing).  Rawhide and antlers are not their choices.  Guess that is a good thing.

I'm so sorry about your Sasha :(   Yeas ago my Shih Tzu almost died from ingesting a rawhide bone, she unraveled it and swallowed the bone, it got caught on her back teeth but was down her throat.  Of course the rawhide swelled in her throat and she could not breathe.  I noticed she was pacing like crazy and for some strange reason I opened her mouth and pulled a 9" piece of rawhide out !!!  At that time which was like 20 years ago I banned any and all rawhide - it a killer for sure!

Oh, no.... So sad.... I am so sorry about Sasha....

I never buy rawhides, hooves, pig ears, nylabone, etc... for this reason... I don't even know why they are allowed to sell them!

I'm so sorry about Sasha. :( 

We are a no rawhide house too. We do use antlers we find on our walks for them to chomp on. But we don't have "chewers" they mostly play with the antlers and tease each other. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service