DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Running in circles-that's what I've been doing. We have 2 acres with visible neighbors. Trooper does not like to stay in our yard so I've been very diligent the past 2 wks taking him out everyday off leash and practicing recalls (upping the reward with cheese!). He was doing GREAT; even chased a rabbit into the woods and came right back. Well, yesterday, I opened the door and he took off to the yucky neighbors who leave their cat food outside. Spent 30 minutes trying to rope him back home. I think the cat food was like crack to him-the recall sounds didn't even break his "concentration" of licking the containers. UUGGGHHH. An electric fence is not in the budget right now and I'm getting discouraged. Anyone try one of those plug in containment systems (that create a wireless radius)????

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I have the wireless system.  I use it at the cottage.  It was not very expensive because I bought it second hand off kijiji.  It works really well.  That being said, I am not sure it would be good for your application as it only does 90 feet in every direction from where it is plugged in.  Clearly not enough to cover your acreage.
Good to know. I think we may look into one just for quick potty breaks and for grandma days.
Once you train on these boundaries though, they are never to cross them.  In order to have Gavin leave the yard we have an imaginary gate - which means I exit the yard with him at the very same spot each and every time and he has to be on leash and he has to sit for a good five count, then I release him and we rush through.
Chloe thinks cat food is crack too! Don't have any advice except that it may be worth a try to do the plug in?
Maybe you should be rewarding him the cat crack, instead of cheese.

I have the pet safe wireless fence.Absolutely love it. I bought the one with 6 levels of correction....it was on ebay brand new for $259...free shipping and handling.I did get a charge through customs though as I live in Canada.

Best money I ever spent:)

How about a 15 or 50 ft long line.  I do not recommend off leash freedom until I know my dogs are reliable.  This is a nightmare waiting to happen.  I would be very sad if I were his breeder about this.
That cute little face looks like it can do no wrong...are you sure that's Trooper taking off for the cat crack?
I would use a long lead - attach it to a stake. That is what we do for our two - but they are only out there when we are.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service