DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Can anyone describe rescue dog behavior for abused dogs and for neglected dogs? I've had abused rescue dogs with me before and I know a few of the signs but probably not all of them. However, my observations are telling me Mac was more of a neglected dog but I'm not sure. Keep in mind these are my impressions only after 3 weeks with him so I know his personality will change. He doesn't really shy away from people. He's generally submissive to humans but doesn't jump by loud noises, fast movement or objects we hold in our hand. We can hold a spatula near him or a fly swagger and he does not cower which is good. However, he is tentative when getting petted. He will come up and lean on you or put his head on your leg but he will never look you in the eye and always keep his head lowered. He will tentatively get on the couch when you ask him but will lean into you when he is up there. The saddest thing is just I very rarely see a look of life in his eyes. Only when I play ball with all of the dogs in the back yard but that is it. He seems to want our attention by leaning on us and following us around but there is no happy light in his eyes most of the time. Even though Jake was confined in a crate a lot before we rescued him, he had the dog "light" in his eyes. I just don't know what could have happened to poor Mac in the three or so years of his life that makes walk around so glumly. And I truly hope we can show him more than just during the time he is fetching a ball. :(

Views: 588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would never have known this was Wayne. Doesn't even look like the same dog. 

While we're at it, here's JD (yes, big smiling, stoic JD) about a week after I adopted him: 

OMD, Karen.  Look at that scared little boy!  What a difference love makes.

These eyes sure do tell a sad story... But a story with a happy ending!

Love the judge!!!!

Ohhh, look at the difference!  Love that smile.  JD knows life is good with you!

Wow, seeing all of these transformations really helps. I've never see JD looking sad. But what a happy boy now. I can see some of that look in these rescues eyes. have hope Mac!

That photo of Mac smiling that you posted is just the beginning. There will be so many more to come. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service