DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Thanks to all of your encouragement we just finished a 5,024 mile road trip with our 6.5 month old puppy.  We couldn't bear the idea of boarding over the holidays, so we drove from CA to MN to WI and back (in winter! yikes!).

Oliver did really well in the car, alternating between looking out the window and sleeping.  While he didn't get carsick at all, his appetite wasn't it's usual level.  We did have one rough night in a hotel where he was being spooked by screaming kids in the hall but overall it was much easier than we expected.  Oliver also got to romp in snow for the first time and LOVED it.  He also loved the inlaws dog and it took all of two minutes for them to become best friends.  Seeing how much fun they had together (and how much they tired each other out) I'm so tempted to get another pup.

We might be crazy to have done it, but it gave us great opportunities to train outside of the usual spots and have Oliver adapt to new situations.  Plus there were a lot of good smells along the way.

Thanks for the encouragement & tips that helped to make this trip a success!  After reading about what happened to that poor family & their doodle in the fire I might have to do this every year.
Are we there yet?
Puppy's first snow.
New best friends.
Please don't separate us!
Happy to be back home in 65 degree weather!

Views: 323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very cute! 

So nice to hear it went well. I loved traveling all over the country in our RV with Murphy when he was even younger than Oliver. We potty trained on the road and he learned to go potty at every truck stop, gravel lot, sandy patch or grassy field we could park near! He loves car rides the best! Bella loves them too, but still gets carsick at age 3. This is the dog that eats socks and poops them out in pairs and just helped Murphy eat a 5 lb bag of flour! Car sick seems a bit ridiculous in her case, but what can I say. Glad you had a safe trip.
Yes after the Dggie Day Care fire, I will never be leaving mine in anyones care but family ever!

Jamie, what a wonderful experience for Oliver!  That was a long trip and sounds like he was a real "travel trooper"!  These pictures are great and Oliver is darling.  I love the first and the fourth pictures the best!  You are great Doodle parents to take that trip on!

How fun! Thanks for sharing the photos

Wow...what a great vacation!  I bet you take him everywhere with you from now on. He is so adorable and it looks like he had a wonderful time with his new friend!  Having him with you made your vacation more relaxed I bet! 

I am so glad that all went well and that Oliver is a good traveler. 

Thanks again everyone!  We had a great time and learned a lot along the way.  We feel very lucky we made the trip safely and were able to include Oliver in all the adventures.

I found Dog Friendly to be such a great resource tracking down hotels & dog parks along the route.  Highly recommended!

WOW, Love the pic's!! You are Smart to start out Oliver with traveling as a young pup. We have traveled with our Doodles since they were pups. They Love it, and have learned to adjust to wherever we stay. So many Hotels and outdoor restaurants allow dogs now! It's Wonderful~

Sounds like you had a great time.  Love the pics!  I live in a condo and had to move out for about 6 weeks a few years ago (they were replacing the fire suppression system).  They put us up at one of those extended stay places, and Libby was never totally happy there.  Too many people making noise at night - she slept on the bed facing the door in a semi-alert position, so I can only imagine how  screaming children made Oliver feel.  But it's so good to have a doodle that is portable and can adapt - makes life so much easier!

Love this !!  We also drove back to the "Frozen Tundra" of MN (from CO) the week of Christmas with Hanna taking up the whole back seat of my subaru..... We did it once when she was 1 year, and this year at age 3, so for 6.5 months and from CA, I am impressed !!  Hanna doesnt like to "eat on the road" either, its almost as if she knows not to get her tummy upset... We also stayed in 2 hotels, and Hanna doesnt care for the unidentifed noises out side the room either....we always have a fan in the bedroom at night for white noise, and so have taken to bringin one on the road as well....it seems to help her chill better.  She got to meet her  new 4 month old labradoodle cousin as well!  Great pictures and glad she did so well !!!!

Good boy, Oliver!  Trips with your humans are much better than kennels.  Congrats to all!

What a good, sweet boy you are Oliver...so glad to hear your very long road trip was so successful...Glad you are all home safe, sound and happy.  Happy New Year!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service