DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have mentioned our son's Ridgeback mix, Leroy, before so some might remember him in some posts. He had been very weak and not eating over the weekend. Our son brought him in to the Vet on monday morning and Leroy was xrayed and blood tested and sent home to wait for results, thinking it was Valley Fever as it is quite prominent here.
The Vet called my son this afternoon to say, it's not Valley Fever, but worse, he has acute Leukemia and at best only a few days to two weeks to live.
As many of you may know this is a fatal disease and there really is no use prolonging the inevitable. Tonight he is very weak and having a very difficult time breathing. He can barely walk to go outside to go potty, so he is going downhill very quickly.

They are hoping he doesn't die at home as their 3 year old would certainly not understand why his "Bubba" won't get up and play with him, so they are considering taking him into the vet in the morning to help him pass without any suffering.

UPDATE: Sat. morning
My son and DIL are just in shock and feel this is just a punch in the gut, as Leroy is a strong, 98#, muscular, fit, running, hiking machine and we all expected him to live forever! He is only 6 1/2 yrs old. My son rescued him from someone who was on his way to bring him to a kill shelter when he was just a pup.
Leroy is his first dog in his whole life, as we never had dogs as the kids were growing up. He was his dog as he moved from apartment to apartment, as a single guy, as he met and then married his wife, as they had their dear little boy and woke up every single time that little baby cried and went to lay down by the rocker as my DIL breastfed, anytime, day or night. Leroy always lets my DGS crawl, grab,pinch, pull, poke, and play with him like the big gentle giant that he is. and because of how much my grandson loves his "Bubba" we used him as the theme for his 3rd birthday party in July. So we had a "Bubba Birthday" party.

Our son and wife are taking Leroy to the vet at 10:30 arizona tiime and unless the Vet can give them some time and Leroy can be very comfortable during his last days, they will put him to sleep today. I am getting my grandson this morning and saying my goodbyes to Leroy and then try to help them explain to this sweet 3 yr old, where his "Bubba" is. 

This is my favorite picture of Leroy and my grandson. Leroy weighs 4 times as much as Ethan and walks right by his side.

I guess I just needed to write this to make it seem real, and ask for prayers for Leroy and his family, at this difficult time. Thank you.

FINAL UPDATE: Leroy passed over the Rainbow Bridge at 11:20 Arizona time. Less than an hour ago. They are sad and going to miss him terribly for a very long time. Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and words.

Views: 814

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My heart breaks for you...

I'm so sorry for your family, Sue. Rest in peace, Leroy, you will always be loved and remembered.

Sue, I am so so sorry for you and your family. Nothing but time help, lots of it. I will be praying for peace for your family.
Thank you all so much. I will pass along all your posts to my son and DIL. They went home afterward to try to get some sleep as they were awake most of the night watching over Leroy. He advanced to a critical state very quickly and was even starting to have bleeding from the nose. He still lifted his head and wagged his tail and gave me kisses when I went to say goodbye this morning and pick up my grandson. I gave him a big kiss and told him he is such a good boy and he layed his head back down. Ethan gave him a hug and we left my son and his dog laying on the floor together. I've always hated to see my son cry, and this was just heartbreaking.
But they will get through this as we all do, and I just know that there is another wonderful rescue dog waiting for my son to find him. I'm sure it won't be long.

I am so sorry! RIP Leroy!

RIP Leroy.

I'm crying as I'm reading this.  The pic you posted is priceless...

Aside from your profile, I don't see a picture of your grandson and Leroy. I am glad he did not suffer.

F, There is an attachment right at the end of her update. It says, "Ethan and Leroy."

It sound like Leroy may have been (and still is) a "heartdog".  I just posted a discussion about heartdogs with a photo of mine.  It is so good that everyone was able to say goodby to Leroy and I am sure he left this world feeling lots of love from his family.  Thanks for sharing Leroy's trip to the Rainbow Bridge.

So so sorry.   The photo is priceless.  The picture I have in my mind though is Penny the Wonderdog being at the bridge to give him a big ole Doodle welcome!

Oh, I like that thought!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service