DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I need some ideas some doggie friends :) What are some safe, vet approved keep-em-busy things to chew on that you've used? Are deer antlers safe? I do not want to use knuckle bones etc because I don't what that mess everywhere. What is some safe, enjoyable for a dog that needs to chew, but won't break off and cause him gastric distress?

Views: 301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Theresa, we have lots of info on this in The Food Group: http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/thefoodgroup

Different things work better for different dogs. Some of us use deer, elk or moose antlers, beef tracheas, bully sticks, various ears and hooves, and non-edible Nylabones. It's also very easy to use beef femurs or knuckles without having a mess. Most important is to make sure that anything you give is sourced in North America. Info in the Food Group. 

Yum  Beef trachea :P

Annabelle loved the West Paw Zogoflex chew toys. Her favorites were Hurley and Tizzi.

Westpaw chew toys - if your dog is a heavy chewer, the Tux is the sturdiest.  Kongs and Nylabones work well also.

Hi Theresa. After my dog broke a molar on an antler and my daughter's dog broke a tooth on a knuckle bone (both requiring extractions), my recommendation is to stay clear of both. If you do a search in the search box, you will find lots of great recommendations for safer chew options for Dexter.

The West Paw products are my favorite. They are soft enough to not hurt their teeth, yet rugged enough to not get destroyed too easily. The only time they show any wear and tear is when they are laying in the yard all summer and the sun breaks them down. That's when I get new ones. I order through Chewy.com with my monthly food shippment when I need a new toy for them, as shipping is free. I also like that a lot of their toys float as my guy swims a lot and retrieving is his favorite activity. 

Otherwise, mine do get real beef bones, (outside), Kong products, Rope ball toys, an occasional bully stick, (but that lasts all of 10 minutes).  The nylabones tend to get sharp edges on them as they chew and I can see blood on them after they've been chewing, so that's not something I give any more. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service