DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We are driving 18 hours with Ginger.  The trip is split in two days...nine hours each.  The vet gave me a script for aceprmazine 10mg.  She said to give 1 and 1/2 pills    2 hours before we leave for the road.

Questions:  Do I feed her prior to the meds?

Will she sleep and then be up all night and then do I drug her again the next day? 

Has anyone given their dog any type of sedation for travel and were there any side effects? 

Any receommendations?

Thanks

Pam 

Views: 4784

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You only drug a dog for travel if the dog needs it. If Ginger is fine in the car so far, I would bet she will be fine in the car period.  Stop every few hours to let her go potty and walk around and periodically stop long enough for her to run and play a  bit.  It might make the trip a bit longer but not really by much - and you will be more refreshed too.  We have an RV and our dogs have been in it since they were puppies - actually lots of housebreaking has taken place in the old RV!  They have all traveled just fine.

My DD boxer mix and has heavy anxiety in the car, shakes, quietly whines, will not lie down, not even on a 15 hour car ride, she stays awake and seated, very sad. The last time we took a trip (5 hours) we collectively decided to sedate her. NEVER again. She ended up being a zombie, quietly whining, not shaking but her little head was hanging down so low and  her eyes were fuzzy looking and she still would not lie down. The drug wore off after 12 hours and she finally became herself. On the way home she was NOT medicated.

First see if she needs anything but don't sedate her, try that natural remedy that Sue talked about.

Have a good trip.

Thank you EVERYONE for your advice!  I will try the trip w/o the meds and see how it goes.  Ginger likes the car, so I am hoping that there will not be a problem. 

That sounds like a great idea.  I will be traveling with a 4 month old puppy and 4 kids over 1000 miles one way next week and returning two weeks later.   I just am expecting more stops with a puppy along.  Enjoy your trip.

Last year we took a trip with Brinkley. He's since grown out of having major motion sickness but last year he was just coming out of his puppyhood and he still wasn't always loving the car like he does now.  We gave Brinkley some dramamine (our vet gave us the right dose info over the phone.)  It didn't make him drowsy or sleepy but it did help with motion sickness.  He did great... and now he LOVES the care.  

Good luck on your trip.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service