DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hey everyone... Bear goes to the vet today because of a seizure had had yesterday.  We're obviously nervous about it and hoping he doesn't ask us to start any medication... Do any of you have some advice before our appointment?  He has had one every six months for two years, but yesterday's was only a week after his last one.  I've heard and read how meds can really change their behavior and that they're hard to ever stop.  We obviously would like to go at this from the more "natural" side.  HELP?

Thanks!!  Bev

Views: 391

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Beverly, I'm sorry to hear that Bear has been having seizures.

There is an excellent group here on DK for owners of doodles with seizure disorders and epilepsy. Many of the members are very experienced with the various types of medications and treatments used for seizure disorders. They have shared their own experiences and will be happy to advise and help you. 

Here's a link to the group: http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/seizures

Good luck with the appointment.

Thanks so much... Leaving in a few minutes... Report to follow!  

Beverly -

I see you joined the "Seizure Group" good step. 

My guess is that the vet is not going to find anything to explain the seizures.  I also don't think I would start on any medication unless the frequency of the seizures increases.  I would wait and see. 

As to a "natural" route of treatment - I do not know of any that are proven.  Although, I do believe that in the "Seizure Group" there is a discussion on natural treatment. 

I would also try to determine if there is anything in common  that may have caused the seizures.

Praying for you and Bear.  Please keep us posted.

Good luck with the visit. I'd opt for medication which certainly, when carefully titrated, does not need to change behavior.

I don't have experience with seizures, but want to lend my support to you.

So sorry you are going through this with Bear and I will keep you in my prayers and good thoughts for a solution to his seizures.  Big paw hugs to Bear from Libby!

I hope you and Bear received helpful advice from the vet.  

I have no experience with seizures,  but hope that all goes well.

Wow, DK members!  The support from you all is so encouraging.  Thanks so much.

The appointment went well.  His blood work results were perfect, and you're right... they didn't have an explanation for the seizures.  I think that they're brought on by excitement and/or anxiety, but with this last one coming only 6 days after the previous one, we definitely needed to schedule a visit to the vet.  Their first recommendation was to begin him on phenobarbital.  That was the number one "fear" we had as we've heard about so many undesirable side effects. 

We're considering trying a "natural remedy" first.  Have any of you every heard of EaseSure?  It isn't dangerous in any way, but I have no idea if it will work or not.  I guess the only thing we can do is TRY and if he has another seizure after being on it, then we can always start a low dose of the pheno afterwards...

http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/products/easesure-nervous-sy... If any of you have had any experience of know of someone that has tried this, can you let me know?  

Once again, it's comforting to have so many of you concerned for Bear-- He is a special guy indeed and we're going to try anything we can to help him through this.  THANKS, DKs!!  

BEV

This photo was from a couple of weeks ago as we were leaving from here in Missouri up to Sleeping BEAR Dunes National Lakeshore... Have any of you been there?  BEAUTIFUL and very "Doodle Friendly"... :-)

The EaseSure sounds like a very iffy concoction to me. Some of the plants, like belladonna can be dangerous. Many dogs have been on phenobarbital, an old tried and true, studied medication. If it were my doodle I'd opt for that.

I agree. As we've said many times before, "natural" doesn't equal "safe". Lots of plants are toxic, and I would be afraid of using something without a lot of research behind it. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service