DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

The first two week we had Lucy she could take her for a walk with little to no problem.  All of sudden when we try to walk her on her leash she won't budge.  She'll take a few steps then sit and stare at us.  I'd love to hear how others have dealt with this.  She is definitely testing us a little more but I'm going to assume this is normal and we just need to stay consistent with the training.

We currently keep her confined to the kitchen and back hall/laundry area because I'm OK if she has an accident on the tile.  I would love to let her have more freedom but I know I have to be patient.  I'm wondering if anyone else has confined their puppy to a certain area and at what age were you comfortable letting them move around more? 

Thanks!

dawn

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aww she is just a baby.    I have to laugh because we had this problem for the first month.   Don't worry, Lucy will be DRAGGING  you behind  and down the road in no time    :) 

Pick her up and give her a break as you walk.  Then let her down for a while again.   Just like you would a toddler learning to walk with you.  She is just a baby.  ENJOY   :)

If you think she is being stubborn, have some treats in your hand.   This is a good time to start some positive training.   Hold treats in your hand and give her some along the way.  This should perk her up, keep her focus on you, and get her walking too.!  That is a winning situation

It sounds like a GREAT time to go to puppy school :)

I really think it is a tad  early for the stubborn stage.  How old is she?

When we first got our Lab, Hershey, she did the same thing. Would not budge. This was over 17 years ago and I don't remember what we did, but she got over it and was the best dog to walk on a leash. Lots better than my two now...LOL!

My doodle, 13 weeks is very reluctant to go on walks. She does not like to leave the property. I can bribe her with treats to get her to walk about 4 houses away but she keeps stopping and trying to turn around and go back home. Sometimes she just sits and whines. I started driving to a nearby state park and walking her there. It is much better. I use a clicker and click whenever she walks with a loose leash. She is still a bit hesitant on the way out but as soon as I turn around to double back she runs the whole way. It is weird.

These puppies are fearful.  Right now, this stage in life, you are to make your puppy as SECURE feeling as you can.  Protect them.   Later in life, they will protect you, but realize these are babies. 

Again, I think it is a good idea to take your dog, hold them nice and cozy in your arms, and walk.  Show them the new neighborhood, the new sounds, the new life. Remember, they just left the protective nest of their mothers.  Your job now, is to show them the world.  A word of warning, don't force this fear on them at this stage of the game.   Be reassuring.  Put them down and let them walk, but if they need you, hold them while you can   :)

Soon, you will have a confident dog but not until after four months.  Then it will start

You should keep her confined until she is completely trustworthy, then slowly add a bit more room every few days.

My dog does that when she is scared.  If we go through the garage and she has to walk by the garbage cans, she comes to a complete stop and wont budge, same with storm drains, big leaves that move (ha), and her shadow!  She's a big scaredy cat!  I just pull her along a bit and she will get past it - I try to not give into her fears or acknowledge them to much as it could make it a bigger deal.

Be consistent and positive, take the other tips about walking and training and lots of happy talk when she walks a bit.

Just a puppy and all this is new and possibly a bit of fear in there. Don't let her win (give in)!!

Dawn,

I don't have good advice for your walking situation since I haven't dealt with that experience but maybe some for your second issue (I think you're asking how much room to give the puppy when you're not there?  Or did you mean you confine him even when you're home?).  Dexter is only 11 weeks so he basically stays in his crate when we're not home with him.  He's been doing well with not having accidents inside the crate or in the house when we are there so I walked to the store for 20 minutes the other day and kept him gated in the kitchen to see how he did (he was fine, no accidents).  Since I've only had him for 3 weeks, most of my experience is coming from a Golden Retriever puppy I had.  I personally think the best (and easiest for you!) thing to do is keep him crated when you're not there.  Even though it's easy to clean up messes on tile, it's a little harder to break them of the habit of going inside the house if they have the option to do so.  Most dogs don't like to go inside their crate and have to then lay in it so by keeping a puppy there, you can control (to some extent) when and where they'll be going.  Plus, if they stay in their crate they don't have the option of getting bored and chewing on kitchen cabinets or tables!  I started leaving him out of the crate and giving him one additional room at a time, probably about 5 months....when he wasn't having any accidents inside the house at all and when I saw he wasn't always trying to bite things like cables, tearing at the carpet, etc. when we were home and he could run around.  

With Murphy I held a treat in my hand right in front of him as we walked and gave him one when he kept going. Just little walks at a time at this age is all that's needed anyway.

As for when they are free to roam? Depends on frequency of accidents in the enclosed area. Or tether her too you as you walk around the house and you can see an accident when it starts. Great for potty training and letting her explore the house safely.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service