DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone!  I'm an amature doodle owner. We had a dog in the back yard when I was a kid but aside from that there's little knowledge if any in raising a 1st gen goldendoodle. Shag's mommie is a poodle and  his fur is baby fine but wavy and almost curly.  At the top and length of his back the fur is courser almost wirey.

We have been having a huge problem in Shaggy shedding TUFTS of fur.   We brush him with a rake, which is the only thing that will go through his fur, and also use a thinning tool.  I don't see either of these things helping at all! I  Shaggy will be 18mos in January and shedded very little as a puppy.  We had him groomed  this past June. He was shaven to remove a large amount of matting,( we were using the wrong type of brush.) His fur has been growing out since, but the shedding is outrageous!It hasbeen moticable since the weather change here in Ohio. Is this type of shedding normal?  If so, do any of you have some tips in managing the shedding?  Thanks, Shelley

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have an answer to your shedding question (sorry), but I just have to say that Shaggy is super cute and I love his name.

It sounds like you're ready to join the "Shedding" group!

http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/sheddingdoodles

I don't think that I would personally use the thinning tool.  The only things that I have found that help with a shedding dog is lots of brushing and keeping them a little shorter.  Keeping them shorter doesn't stop the shedding it is just shorter fur (thus smaller amounts) that are find everywhere.  You might also investigate the Les Poochs brush.  That is what I use on my girls and it is the only thing that keeps me sane!

Shelley,  If I didn't know better I would have thought you were talking about my dog Riley.  Same type of hair, same issues as Shaggy!  It has taken until now to figure out a grooming routine that works.  Riley is 16 months old and has been to the groomer 4 times.  He has been given a couple of "buzz-cuts" in that period to remove patchy matts.  It seems like a trip every 10 - 12 weeks to the groomer, and all is good.  He gets to keep some length in his coat, but not enough to get matted.  We brush Riley on a daily basis, but once a matt takes hold on his coat it is impossible to remove!  The vet said and I quote, "He has one crazy coat!"  Hang in there, you will figure out what works best for Shaggy!

Sorry that you got a shedder.  Some dogs just shed more than others, and this bred is notable a low or non-shedding breed.  Keep him brushed on a daily basis and when the weather gets warmer, clip him down.  Since there are no standards for doodles with their grooming, do what works for you.  I would suggest trying your own grooming as you will feel better about whatever needs to be done.  We have always groomed our doodles (and poodles) and it can be quite satisfying.  Remember you can't go wrong with doodles.

Shelley,

You need to brush him and comb him regularly so he doesn't matt.  I am a part time dog groomer for 20 years.  I'm not being critical but it's not the best thing for any dog to have to be shaved (stripped) due to matting.  It makes them feel naked and is very upsetting for them. :-(    I've heard of dogs that hide for a week or more after being stripped.  The family should not laugh at the dog, they do get embarrassed not understanding what happened.

This is why some doodle breeders (1st generation) that claim their puppies are *hypoallergenic* and don't shed, should not be making that claim.  1st generation especially, they have no idea whether their pups will follow the non shedding of a poodle or the shedding of a Golden Ret or Labrador Ret.

Also, the weather has made all dogs shed at times of the year they normally don't.  So stay on top of that and don't let your dog become matted again.   A quick brushing and combing daily will suffice and it shouldn't matter what type of brush you're using unless it's a rubber curry brush.  I use those on my horses too but it's not good enough for a heavy coated dog that apparently is shedding heavily. 

A thinning tool shouldn't be necessary.  A good steel or rake brush and good quality steel comb should work well.  You can't let it go to the point your dog is so matted he needs to be stripped down with clippers.  It's  not good for many reasons.

There are supplements but most are within good foods (Omega 3, lineolic acid.)   What type of food do you feed him?

I would contact the breeder for further advice, especially if they claimed you were getting a dog that was hypoallergenic and that would not shed.

Good luck,

Lynda

My Peri does not shed, however, she matts like crazy when her hair is longer (right now she is 3ish inches long). 

I know others will give different advice, but my absolute favorite grooming tool is a steel comb - didn't cost much and really works the matts out.  We also use a Les Poochs brush for the areas that do not matt as much. Her underarms, bellow, and around her legs are worst. Last night it took us 30 minutes to comb her and she is a mini.  When their hair is longer, you have to brush multiple times a week. 

And the shedding is probably normal, but do try brushing daily and giving fish oil or evening primrose oil - that helps with allergies, their coat, etc....

My F1 goldendoodles name is Hunter and she is a shedder. LOL LOL  I have to say that it has lessened now that she is almost 2 years old but there for awhile I thought I was going to start a new trend and make a "doodle fur coat".  What I found with Hunter is giving her a daily suppliment of Evening Primrose Oil - it helps with itching, dry skin, and in our case shedding.  I also brush her with a Furminator and a regular softer bristled brush - they seem to be the only one's that work for her after trying many others.  I am also in Ohio and I definately notice the shedding more right now than in the Spring and Summer - over the Summer her shedding was VERY minimal - I did keep her cut short but I didn't see ANY fur around not just "shorter" fur.  Make sure you join the shedding doodles and Ohio doodles group! And the grooming group would be a big help too.

Welcome to the reality of many many doodle owners.  Many many doodles DO shed.  I have one that does and one that doesn't.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service