DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I would love to compare and share the good , bad and ugly of what works and does not work with our baby.I could sure use thge support !

Views: 699

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, you did get me all excited about a new career before cruelly dashing my hopes.  LOL  By the way, it was a very good response!  F made me wander off topic.  :)

I am to blame for most everything : ) But what was the new career?

A TV director, with a touching story about Joanne.  It would have had depth, drama, compassion, mystery, legal thrills--oh, well.  It was but a fleeting dream...LOL

I see. It would have been a good soap opera. Haven't some of those characters been married dozens of times : )

JoAnne - are you my  twin?

We are long time married  - kids grown with their own kids - I have trained every dog we have had without assistance, with only one exception.  Now I have hubby to 'help' and can assure you that often the 'help' is anything but.... 

Jumping up on guests - ours is still incorrigible with this problem. She adores people and we have one or two who come to visit and think it's cute & ok - even though I say not.  

Ours has to have her hour walk daily, without it she can be a royal pest. I consider ours to be just about the mellowest dog ever - she was an 'old' puppy - but she is still adolescent and needs work.  Her head works in a different way.

As with kids - wear 'em out, fill 'em up, and love 'em.   They all need a job to do.

Thanks you guys for all your support ..advise... etc.....We get out and walk 3 times a day and throw the ball in the house at night...she is always ready for her crate at night...never a problem there...so nice to know I not alone here !! You gius feel like my BFF'S !.

Hi Tamara, I'm single and have two doodles.   Of course your doodle still acts very much like a puppy and will for a while.  I have issues with my Oliver jumping on people when they come into my house.  Since I live alone and don't have many visitors its difficult to practice for them to sit in their spots and wait.  I always tell guests not to speak, touch or eye contact until they settle, once they settle which takes a minute or two then they can touch and greet the doodles.

Also two things I highly recommend..... puppy/training/socialization classes AND lots of exercise.  A tired dog is a good dog!  My two have lots of energy and I am always taking them on long walks and I let them lose in a closed in tennis court by my house.   My Sasha was a nipper when she was about 7-8 months old and she tore a couple of dresses and skits, I don't think she liked me wearing skirts or a dress.  But she passed thru that stage(thank God).  Now I have two wonderful doodles ages 3 and 3 1/2  that are well exercised and behaved.... we are still working on the jumping with Ollie but over all my doodles are pretty good doods I must say :)   But that comes with constant training reinforcing boundries and limitations.  Good luck and you have come to the right place for support and information.

Hi Tamara,
I think that being young and single with a dog poses some social challenges for the owner and I personally know one such person who rehomed her dog because she was becoming a hermit and felt guilty about too much time away.
- drinks after work with the gang? no
- improptu trip with a girlfiend? no
- working overtime? no
- friday night date? sorry but the dog has been home alone all day
I am hoping that Sherri Winston and Sophie will chime in here as she has had to deal with this stuff. My advice is to try and make exercise and training part of your social life. Join a training group that meets once a week. Get to know the dog park people and get together with them weekly. Drive your dog into town and go for walks downtown and to parks so he meets lots of people in different situations. All the extra exposure to new people and situations will calm down the excitment and jumping. Good luck.

BG is right about making the dog part of your social life. I have expanded my network of friends to include others with dogs, so we can socialize together with our dogs. I found that when I was living downtown and visiting the dog park every day I met a lot of people like me and it was great social time. I moved but I am still friends with some of them and we set up play dates so the dogs can play and we can see each other. Going to the dog park after work was the best part of my day.

It is hard to have a social life and not feel isolated, but there are tricks. I allow myself a couple nights a week to go out later in the evenign for a couple hours, once the dogs have been thoroughly exercised and are ready to settle down. Hiring a dog walker is very helpful, even if it is someone who you only use in a pinch, it is better than ntohing. You could also try to get some of your friends with dogs to make an arrangement to share dog sitting/walking support with each other. The support is priceless.

Honestly I think the biggest issue is that your doodle is not getting enough exercise. Take her to a safe urban dog park every day after work for at least an hour, twice on week-ends, rain or shine. This in addition to a morning and bedtime walk, and some time working on commands. You will meet lots of like-minded single folks to commisserate with about the woes of being a single dog mom :o) Report back in a month and I bet you will exclaim how much better things are.

I know it can feel hard being on your own. It is a lot of work for one person.  Just think abuot how much harder it would be if you were juggling more things (like kids!). You have the opportunity to devote your time to your doodle, training, exercising, bonding. Plus, you have a super cute doodle to lure in handsome strangers ;-) All kidding aside, there are actually benefits to being single with a dog, you just gotta look on the bright side. :)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service