DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So I just got a knock on my door. I took a few minutes to open it and when I did, there was a dog tied to my front rail. It is a small terrier/chihuahua looking mix, maybe about 7lbs? I brought him in and tried to give him food and water, neither of which he is taking. No collar, no tattoo, nothing. I called the local humane society, the vet and animal control, nobody has heard anything and nobody can pick him up. Obviously I will keep the little guy overnight if I have to, but I haven't ever done this type of thing. Suggestions? I have class really early tomorrow morning, before the shelter opens and I'm not sure I should just leave him here in the apartment. Darwin's unbridled excitement is scaring the little guy to death so I have Darwin outside on the patio. Anyone have suggestions for the steps I need to be taking?

UPDATE: Well, I got in touch with a private rescue who advised me to take him to the local shelter. I wanted to take him to the humane society over a local animal control facility, but apparently they will not accept strays, only surrendered pets. If you go in and say it's a stray, they will immediately direct you to an animal control shelter. She advised me to not to try and claim he was my pet because they take that pretty seriously, so the humane society option was out

She said to take him to my local animal shelter, and tell the manager of the shelter to contact her. When I got there, they were looking at me a little bit suspiciously and meanly. I can't really blame them though, I don't think they believed my story. I don't know that I would have believed it either!

Anyways, I asked for the manager of the shelter, told her the name of the private rescuer and she immediately knew who I was talking about. Apparently they know each other well, and she frequently pulls dogs from their shelter. She informed me that he would be kept over the weekend, and the private rescue would come pick him up after that. After inspecting him and his teeth, she noticed that he still had baby teeth and might be around 5 months old. She said he was cute and would be very adoptable. The two workers thought he was adorable and assured me he would be well cared for until the private rescue picked him up. By the way, he wasn't neutered or microchipped, we found that out as well.

It's been kind of a crazy night/day, and I'm running on 4 hours of sleep so I may end up taking a nap. :-) I am SO relieved he is in good hands, and I think he's going to find a great home. Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions and encouragement. What an adventure!

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You did the right thing. He will find a home that is perfect for him :) Now, go take a well deserved nap!
Oh, so he is just a baby.  What are the chances he is a Doodle?  Will they notify you as to when he goes to his forever home?  He looks like such a sweet puppy.  You done good Camilla.  Let's celebrate at Yappy Hour tonight!
These type little doggies get adopted instantly out of our local animal shelter.  It is the Beagle mixes and Lab and Shephard mixes theat tend to have problems, not to mention the pit mixes.  Great job Camilla.
Good work Camilla. You have been a guardian angel to this little guy!
Great job helping this little guy!  I agree that someone saw you out with Darwin and knew you'd do the right thing for this pup.
Oh he is so darn cute!  I do hope he finds a loving home! Will the shelter let you know if and when he is adopted?
Bless your heart Camilia, it's like you are that little guy's guardian angel!
He really is cute.  I am sure all will turn out good for him and he'll be in a way better place than he was living with whoever had him before.  Thanks for caring!
He's so cute... Glad he is gonna get a good forever home.. Good job on helping him out..
Camilla, again you're the best. He will definitely find a goood home.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service