DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi Everyone, I took Sophie Bear to her first full grooming today. As per the advice I got in the grooming group, I filled in the 'doodle doo' checklist and brought pictures of doodle styles I like. She decided to do her own thing, well, she sort of talked me into letting her. I've never brought a dog for a grooming before so was insecure about what to ask for. I should know better by now, I always get the best advice on DK, better advice than at the pet store, better than the vet, so why not better than the groomer? What can I say I'm a pushover!

Anyway, despite the fact taht she looks likea bobblehead, I kind of find her cute in a goofy sort of way. Her skinny legs are hilarious. And she's a happy girl so that's all that matters. Now I can take her swimming without worrying about mats, and she'll be so much easier to bath.

I'd really like to know everyone's honest impressions. How would you rate the ob the groomer did, and what would you have done differently?

So here are the before during and after pics :o)

So, what do ya think? 

Views: 308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

awwwww, bobble-head doodle!!! She'd look gorgeous no matter what, but for some reason I'm partial to a closer cut on the head. Lola's had the WORST ever cut, and she looked like she was going tip forward her head was so poufy. Everyone has different tastes, and everyone's going to have a different opinion, so if Sophie Bear is comfortable and happy, and you're happy...that's all that matters!
She looks wonderful, overall a very good job.
I think Sophie looks adorable!   I'm partial to the "shaggy" look myself...but when Banjo's newly groomed I fall in love with that look too!     This will be so nice for her AND you when it comes time for swimming!
I think she looks great.  I just love the color of her fur.
I think she looks beautiful!  I would not be disappointed with that cut at all.  She looks like she behaved very well for her first time.
BEAUTIFUL.  Great job in my opinion.

The scissored legs are not dished in at the feet--you keep the hairs longer there and all along the leg. Also i would keep the hairs on top of the head just a bit longer to balance her nice full ears--otherwise, she looks very nice! She is such a nice deep chocolate color! Love it! 

One thing I do is to shave the head UNDER the ear flaps so that there is a channel there for air flow to the ear canal. It is just a small patch about 1 inch wide and 1 1/2 inches long. That will keep her cooler and less likely to get ear infections. You may want to ask for that--and see how clean her ears are--did the groomer do a good job there? Very important!

Here is a picture of my Rio after his first haircut--you can see how full his legs are--this was done with scissors.

And here is one that shows the fullness of the feet of another dog I groomed. It isn't a very nice picture of her, but the legs show up nicely, especially in the front. See how there is hair in the front of the foot? 

One last photo of a puppy--the legs could be a bit fuller here, but they are more in proportion to the body size than Sophie's are. (But only by a tiny bit!) Hope this helps!

GREAT job! Ginny!  What a beauty Rio has grown into!!!  He's such a big boy already!

Ginny, 

I'm new to Doodle Kisses and to Doodles in general..I'm waiting not so patiently to be in a pet friendly apt before I get my doodle, but I do have a breeder and parents all set! I'm curious about the dog in the first picture, you said it was his first haircut. I love the shaggy look and I really like how the head, face and ears are in this picture. How long would you say the coat is after being scissored? I'm always surprised when doodles come back from the groomers with a very short cut, instead of just a cleaned, trimmed look (which is what I'd say your dog has). 

Any advice and.or suggestions about what your groomer did to your dog, since it was the first cut and I imagine the hair was pretty long before!

Thanks!

She looks so soft, I agree a little more on the legs and the nose would be my taste-she's cute!

She looks so soft and shiny!

awww she looks fantastic!! So soft and shiny!!!  An itsy bitsy suggestion, have her ears trimmed a bit shorter to frame her face... 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service