DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Standard Poodle with ear problems....helping out an anonymous Craigslister

While perusing the craigslist ads (As I do when I'm bored), I found this plea for help:

I figured I could post it here and send her the link if anyone had any suggestions on how to help.    So, THIS IS NOT ME, just trying to help someone out.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/pet/1756237901.html

"It is with a heavy heart that I place this post. I have decided to try to find a good home for my black Standard Poodle.

Jack is about 4 years old, not neutered, and is current on his rabies
shot. I did not buy his papers, because we just wanted him for a pet.
He is perfectly housebroken, although he is not above checking out the
trash can for something interesting, and counter surfing is like an
Olympic sport for him. He loves to go for car rides, and will sit up
regally, and never budge. He is shy, but warms up. He ignores kids,
loves other dogs, and chases cats that won't stand up to him. (We have
one that he torments, and one that he wouldn't dare mess with.) He is
gentle natured, and is happy to spend his day lounging on the couch.
He's a total couch potato.

So why are we parting with Jack? His ears. We have fought his ears for
2 years now--the whole time we have had him. We have tried everything.
We have had him to two different vets. We have had him on antibiotics,
swimmer's ear medicine, peroxide treatments, vinegar solutions, ear
mite medicine--everything we could think of, read about, or had
suggested. We have changed his dog food, at the recommendation of
several people who posted here in response to my request for advice
about 2 months ago. We were hoping it was something as simple as a food
allergy, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Most recently, I have been taking him to the groomer each week to have
his ears professionally cleaned and medicated. By the time I take him
the next week, his ears are full of blood again. She thinks it might be
genetic, or that he might need some very expensive testing done to find
out the root of the problem. We are at the end. We've had some life
changing events in our family in the last couple of months, and this is
more than I can do.

His ears smell horrible. He whines if you bump his ears. He is in pain. We are to the point that Jack has had enough. We are unable to
cure this problem, so I wish to either find someone who is
knowledgeable about ear problems in poodles and can help him, or I am
going to have him put to sleep so he is no longer suffering with this.
I tried unsuccessfully to contact his breeder shortly after we got him,
but she will not return emails. The groomer believes the breeder is
avoiding us, thinking that we want our money back because she didn't
disclose his ear problems. I don't know. I just know that this has gone
on long enough.

I am not trying to make money off Jack. I just want him to go to a
great home with someone who is more capable of giving him the care he
needs. He really is a great dog. I will not let him go to just anyone.
I am hesitant to give him away for free, because I don't want someone
to just take him without thinking things through, and not giving him
the care that he needs. For this reason, I am requiring a donation to
the Humane Society, the zoo, or other animal charity of your choice, in
a check form, that I will mail in to be sure it is carried through.

For more information, feel free to email the anonymized CL link. Thanks for reading.
"

Views: 240

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Depends on the vet. If an animal is suffering and the owners will not or cannot pay for treatment, some vets will contact local rescues. There are some who will even foster, treat, and rehome the dog themselves. Others will simply comply with the owner's wishes. It depends on the vet's awareness of rescue resources and their own desire/ability to become involved. I'm guessing that vets who work for chain clinics like Banfield would have corporate restraints and/or guidelines as to what they are supposed to do in these cases.
=( so sad. Hopefully it all works out for the dog!
I was prepared to judge her but my heart actually goes out to her. This is really sad.
I agree, I feel bad for the owner too.
Except that, what is the reason for not having had the dog neutered? They just wanted a pet. That is irresponsible pet ownership. The most common reason for not having a dog neutered is $. And this lady is trying to rehome an intact dog again. She could at least have taken care of that, we all know it's not a big deal.
Here we are again, back to the financial responsibilities of owning a dog. The dog has a treatable condition. It takes money and time to treat it. Any dog from anywhere could develop a health problem requiring time & money. Every family goes through "life changing events", too.
I do give her credit for not wanting money for herself and asking for a charitable donation instead. I think she is just uneducated as opposed to downright cruel or uncaring. But my heart does not go out to her. Do me a favor and really seriously imagine, as hard as it may be, that this was Peri or Quinn. What would you do? If an ad on Craig's List enters your mind for even one instant, go ahead and feel bad for the owner. If not....
I'm skeptical due to the fact that she will be ok putting the dog to sleep YET "I will not let him go to just anyone."
Actually to me this makes sense. I would worry about just anybody taking my dog and then--what? Give him to some lab for testing? Keep him chained up outside?? If I weren't aware of the great rescue groups out there, I think this is a "solution" I might consider, if I was totally out of options and didn't want to subject my dog to possible abuse in the future.

Remember, we on DK know a lot more about alternatives than the general population thanks to the input of so many knowledgeable members. I had heard of rescue groups, but hadn't realized they vetted the forever families so carefully.
I know, you're right. I could have bought a car with what I've spent on Quinn's medical issues in the past two years, and we're not wealthy. I think I just have low expectations for the Craigslist contingent - I was surprised that this was so much better than most. So with the bar set low, I was surprised. :)
I think people are just not as educated on rescue organizations as some of us are on DK.
Of course Peri would never make it to a Craigs List ad - I don't really think you can compare me with this lady. And I spent THOUSANDS on TAquito a few summers ago, but I still feel slightly sympathetic because she probably has no clue what to do. There are a lot of people that just aren't as educated on dog ownership. Doesn't make it right and it doesn't give them the right to own a dog, but I guess I just feel bad for people sometimes when they get into situations like these. I will stay out of the rest of this discussion.
Allyson, don't stay of any discussions. Your opinions are always valuable! I'm just cranky & judgmental. I would never compare you to this lady!
I know people who simply don't know about rescues, or organizations that would take such a sick dog. All they really know about is craigslist, or their local shelter. So putting an ad in the classifieds seems like a good thing to do, since you control who ends up taking your dog.

What I DON'T understand. If they are online looking at their classifieds, can't they search for breed specific rescues? It's as simple as typing it into Google and doing some research....
You know, the more I think about this, the less sympathy I feel for the owner and the more upset I get. I am late for an appt now.
This woman is basing the decision to rehome her 4 year old dog or have him put to sleep because of advice from a groomer. Not a vet, a groomer.
"She thinks it might be genetic, or that he might need some very expensive testing done to find out the root of the problem."
He "might"? Then again, he might not. How about finding out from a vet? When's the last time he even saw one?
The groomer said he might need expensive tests, so let's dump him or kill him.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service