DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Thanks in advance for reading this and for offering any advice or tips on how I should handle this situation. We have a 2 1/2 year old ALD that we adopted from a wonderful breeder and had a terrific experience. Matey has a great disposition and passed his CGC at 1 1/2. Our family decided to add to our pack and get a puppy. The price of a ALD was a bit high for us, and we also loved the personality of the Goldendoodle (which was also about $1000 less) and decided upon this breed. I did my research (but not nearly to same the degree as with the ALD) and thought that I found a reputable breeder. I filled out the application, we spoke on the phone (she is not local) and I had believed that this was all good so I put a deposit on a puppy that was a standard F1B with and estimated adult size of 60lbs (the perfect playmate for the ALD who’s best friend weighs in at 100lbs). From the beginning I told the breeder that I would not be able to get the puppy until it was almost 12 weeks old because I was taking a few weeks off (even though I work from home) to put all my attention to making sure that the introduction to our home went smoothly and comfortably for the puppy. I had asked for updated photos and the puppies weight on 2 occasions but the breeder did not give me either, only an excuse about the lack of photos. I was beginning to feel uneasy about the breeder but then a friend said that because our previous breeder was so great at communicating and providing information that it would be unfair to compare the breeders. The day before he was to be shipped the breeder called and said that one of his paws was shaved by the vet because he had a little scab and the vet wanted to make sure that it was nothing more. When he arrived he not only had the paw shaved but was growing out his fur from his two front leg being shaved as well. He was tiny too, much much smaller than I had expected for 12 weeks old. When I brought him to the vet 2 days later he was found to have coccidia. He was treated and brought back with another stool sample which then came back for round worms, hook worms and giardia. The vet had also asked me at the first appointment what had happened to the fur on his front legs, she felt that it appeared that he had been given an IV treatment. I called the breeder and was told that the puppies had gotten into bubble gum and it had to be cut out. (I wondered why she hadn’t told me this when she informed me about the shaved paw?) I also updated her on the puppy’s health again and she insinuated that this must have come from our home. I asked the vet about this and was told that because of the short time of him being with us it was not possible that he got any of this here, and my other dog was and always has been very healthy. At a 4 month vet check he weighed in at only 12lbs. The vet said that he would perhaps get to 35lb at the very most. I emailed the breeder with a few photos and asked her about the other puppies in the litter. She replied that a puppy she kept from the litter was on the small side also. I emailed back asking how much she weighed and received no response. In the meantime our puppy has had great difficulty holding his urine and is always thirsty. I spoke to the vet about it and were monitoring it. When he went in to get neutered at 5 ½ months I asked for blood and urine tests because I didn’t feel that he should still be having accidents in his crate at night and sometimes during the day. At night he is in for 6 hours and often wakes me to let him out or let me know that he has already wet the crate. During the day he was only in for less than 3 hours. Well the urine test came back positive for a UTI and the vet said that he had probably had it for a while. He went on antibiotics for 2 weeks and they wanted to retest in 2 weeks after he finished the meds. Well he is still wetting the crate occasionally and will be retested early next week. I think that something is just not right. The upside of all of this is that we love this little guy and our ALD loves him as well. He is part of our family. The breeder recently sent out an email to the families from the litter (I could not see the other names though) asking for updates and photos. I do not want to provide them for I think that perhaps this breeder may also be a broker. My puppy seems to have many issues that would be similar to a mill puppy. I would love to talk to other people who have adopted puppies from the same litter to get information on their health etc but am hesitant to post on the doodle sites. I have seen her in the breeder area of another site. I just want more information so I can make sure that my puppy is as healthy as can be. We thought that we would be getting a puppy that would develop into healthy 60lb adult. We paid $1600 for him and have spent many more hundreds so far. If there was a hereditary problem with the litter I just want to know so we can get him the treatment he needs and deserves. We love the little guy and want him to be a healthy mini sized (he is only 21 lbs at 6+ months) adult. Thanks so much for letting me vent and any advice that you might have.

Views: 489

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They are listed on the Owner Recommended site, I went with them because they are listed as having all the genetic testing done on the parents. I was given copies of the tests, but I guess I never thought about the parasite/worm etc issues.
what owner recommended site. I didn't see them here.
I'm glad you posted the breeder. I think it will definitely help people in the future. He is adorable though!! He looks like he has a smile on his face. He is very lucky to have you!! Or is it the other way around??
Not sure if it's the breeder or not..but there is someone on this website from KS... with the fourpawdoodles as part of their doodle kisses screenname..just fyi
they had posted puppies on this website i can see..and have them listed as "moyen"s.

http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/2065244:Topic:54396
Yes, that is the breeder. I have seen "moyen's" listed before. I believe this refers to a medium size poodle rather than standard.
That post is from July 2008, lol
Wow .I am so sorry but it sounds like you have been "had". That was a terrible breeder experience. I think she lied, was evasive; and all in all is dishonest. I would try to sue her for the $1600. I think you have an excellent case. I think if a SCC judge read this posting alone you would be in the right.
It sounds to me like there are several different issues here. The first, all the worm & parasite infestations, is a sign of the puppy being raised in absolutely filthy conditions. Things like giardia take a couple of weeks to show up in tests, so there is no question that the puppy already had these when he got to you, and they came from the breeder. I would pursue reimbursement from the breeder for the bills associated with this, based on your vet records. Reputable breeders often reimburse their puppy buyers for these types of things. We can give the breeder the benefit of the doubt as to whether she knew there was a parasite problem; her actions from that point forward will prove her as a responsible breeder, or not.
Second is that suspicion of IV treatment, which is the first thing I thought of when I read about the shaved paw, before I even got to the part of your post where your vet suspected this. Since the breeder is being so evasive, I don't know how you will find out what that is all about, but I think investigating the pup's previous vet records would be a good idea.
The third issue is your unhappiness with the pup's size and the breeder's misrepresentations, along with his overall sickly condition. You love the puppy (he is adorable), so it is what it is on the size issue. I think a lot of doodle owners ended up with dogs that are much different in size from what they expected, although it's usually the other way around...i.e. a bigger dog than was really wanted. The jury is still out on his overall health, and hopefully he will grow into a very healthy dog without any lingering medical conditions.(I would also ask for reimbursement on the bills associated with the UTI- isn't that really rare in males? I know it is in male human children. Again, to me it speaks of filthy conditions & neglect on the part of the breeder, but I would get your vet's opinion on that.) None of the issues you've mentioned so far sound like long-term genetic conditions, so I would be cautiously optimistic on that score. But I would aggressively pursue the breeder for answers/compensation. Hugs to you & Checkers, I hope everything turns out well.
I first want to say that I'm so sorry y'all are having these problems. I am glad that your sweetie has found such a good family that loves him soooo much.
I checked out the website for the breeder and it says on their home page that they are members of the goldendoodle and labradoodle premium breeders list. I know our breeder was a memeber with this association so I actually called the lady who keeps up with the association and talked with her about the records she had on my breeder's dogs. You could call the assoication and/or look on their website to see if they have records for the parents of your dogs with testing results. You could also see if the breeder would give you some names, numbers, and/or e-mails of some of your pups litter mates to see if they have had a similar experience.
On another note my labradoodle came from a breeder that I personally visited as well as got to go pick her out. She didn't have any of the problems that you have had to endure but she is much smaller than all of the other pups in her litter. Her Mom is a standard poodle and her dad is a stadard labradoodle but on the smaller side. My Fenway is a year and a half and only 25lbs. She is about 10lbs smaller than the next smallest doodle in her litter. She was not a runt of the litter but is just small just like your little guy. Not sure why. Guess it just has to do with mixing breeds. It's a crap shoot!
Dear Cheryl,
I'm so sorry that this situation happened to you, but am glad that your baby has you for parents. I would post any and everything I could about that breeder. Something very slimey is going on and hopefully you can expose them for what they are! keep us posted about the progress you have. Eva
Glad to know the breeder as I have been researching breeders in the KS/OK area and thought yours seemed reputable as well. We are seriously considering a couple of puppies from another goldendoodle breeder that co-owns a dog or two with your breeder. Hmmm... how are we supposed to know what kind of living conditions the pups have when most breeders do not allow visits in fear of parvo being brought in?
I am soooo very glad that at least this puppy came to a very good home. Clearly you want to keep the puppy. You did not say if you had a contract with the person who sold you the puppy. If you do have a contract you could take the person to civil court. Hopefully you have a dog loving lawyer friend who could help. This would call attention to the bad practices of this person.

At the very least you should post the name of the person from whom you purchased this puppy on every site you can find including your story. You do not need to say anything "bad" about the person, just use the name and tell the story and let the internet do the rest. Your dated vet bills will back you up that you are being truthful and not making any accusations, just sharing your experience.

Please do not feel guilty. This puppy was already born and has a home that will take care of him. We all try to do the best we can. The people who breed and sell animals in an inhuman way are the bad guys. You were trying to be a cautious consumer. This story just shows how dificult that can be. Enjoy your puppy now that he is well and thank you.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service