DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I know this is a nutso question, but lately Oliver has this weird smell about him. I have checked his ears, no sign of redness of problem there, and he is not scratching them. I have him bathed once a month, and his anal glands are checked too. It is sort of a doggie smell, but I cant pinpoint it. It usually appears about a week after grooming and bath, sort of a sour smell. His teeth are white, no problems there, maybe this is normal?..My aussie does not have this smell, and I can't remember any of my other dogs having this either. His skin is fine, not dry, and fur is fine too. He eats TOTW Roasted fowl, and does just fine on it. He used to be on the salmon one, but I noticed a fishy smell eminationg from him, and changed the food to the other. Any ideas or suggestions for us?

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just got the final and last shot!!! They said that I am good for life now!!
Good for you, Kyoko. now we know who to call when we have any rabid animals around--just kidding.
The only time my doodles have a slight doggy odor is when it's rained for a few days and they don't really ever dry out.
Check his collar. Smell it and see if it smells sour. Gracie Doodle constantly has her head in her water bowl and so I keep her in the Dublin collars which are rubberish and their claim to fame is "No Stinky Collar". She can swim in it and bathe in it and it never stinks. The cloth or webbed collars get really stinky. I used to soak our Labs collar in all kinds of stuff and it always stunk so he stunk as well. Or his bedding might have gotten wet and dried stinky. You know how wet towels can get if you don't dry them out properly??? Bedding can do the same thing.
thanks Nancie I am going to check the collar right now
Gunner's collar smells too if I let him swim in it, so we take it off only while he is swimming. He is also on TOTW fowl, so I doubt that is it
No, I checked his collar and it is fine, no smell at all, aqnd ee haven;t had rain here. I do not keep his collar on in the house, I am always afraid he will get caught on something if I am not home and something terrible will happen.
Cheryl,

Have you considered wiping down his face with a wet wipe for pets? Maybe it will help. My daughter's
dog, Elliott, never wears a collar around the house so that definitely would not be his cause for odor, which does go away after his snout is cleaned.. Mitzi has a habit of wiping her face off, after eating and whenever it gets wet, on our carpets. Thank goodness for carpet cleaners! If she has an odor I don't smell it. Also she does not wear a collar in the house, only for walks outside our fenced yard. And when they are bathed they are thoroughly dried afterward and in an air-conditioned environment so there is never a mildewey smell as has been suggested. They are definitely not damp at the fur closest to their skin. Other than that is it possible his teeth may be the source of the odor?
Sally I haven't used a wet one to wipe his face, but that is a good idea. I will try that. It is not his teeth, we had that checked. They are perfect and snow white...
I see that you're in Florida - I'm willing to bet that Oliver isn't getting dry enough after his bath and the funny smell is the result. Over the summer Banjo had that smell as well. I gave Banjo a bath 3 weeks ago and he smells just right! I really think it's the drier fall air allowing his coat to dry quickly. I towel and blow dry him .... but even with that it takes time to dry completely. Any humidity is going to slow that process.
Carol...I think you might be right, I'm in Florida too and have a swimming crazed Labradoodle. He's in the pool all the time and even if I dry him off, even use the blow dryer..in he goes again...and periodically he smells, too. Not always, but enough to say smelly boy! The only "trick" I can use (especially if company is due!) is to wipe him down with white vinegar right after I towel dry him...works for awhile. Now that the humidity is less here Gus isn't as smelly as the summer months. But he's definitely a candidate for cologne if you know what I mean, And the vinegar at first isn't too pleasant either!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service