DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We were supposed to meet our breeder tomorrow morning to get Ollie (8 week F1B Labradoodle) - my children (and me) have been counting down the hours. Well yesterday I got a call from them saying that the puppies were all having loose stools and that they had taken some of them to the vet who checked for all kinds of worms and parasites and didnt find anything and believe it is some type of bacterial infection (note that the breeder's grandmother who lives near by also has puppies and they all got it too) and could we wait a few days to get him until after it clears up (they put them on a five day course of antibiotics starting yesterday). I spoke with them again today and they said the puppies are eating and playing and their only symptom all along has been loose stools and that that is improving. Here is my stress - my 9 year old is leaving for two weeks of sleepaway camp on Sunday and it is so important to her to be here when Ollie arrives at our house. Also - I had made a vet appt for Saturday morning to get him checked out ASAP. Finally - I had arranged to work from home next week (not that easy to do) so I could spend 10 whole days training and acclimating Ollie to our home. Not sure what to think or what to do. The way we left is is that we will talk later and that they can bring him here late Friday or early Saturday if he is much improved (they live 2.5 hours away) Suggestions?

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stacey,
As a breeder myself I would not feel comfortable sending the puppies to their families with this recent development. While loose stools can be caused by any number of reasons, many of them do not require antibiotics and any further stress (even the good kind) may amplify this and cause a rapid decline in your puppy. As disappointing as this is to you, it could be far worse if your fairy tale homecoming turns horror. Your breeder will be in a position to best handle and monitor the situation armed with experience. If the pup happens to have fallen victim to one of the protozoan attacks which are usually more difficult to diagnose the decline can be rapid, further if you get an all clear from the vet tomorrow which could happen on antibiotics, you likely would not return for an extended time which could allow for a problem to get settled back in long before you might pick it up. Acclimating a new puppy is hard enough, nursing an ill one is A LOT of work and I am certain you would rather spend that time getting to know your new family member =)
I think it is very responsible of the breeder to say we have identified this issue and want to treat it before you take the puppy home. Have you told them all the arrangements you have made to accommodate getting the puppy? Why not offer to pay for a visit back to their vet to have him checked and then have that be the final decision? Perhaps you could drive down and attend that visit with the breeder? I would still take it to your vet once he is home. Good luck & I hope Ollie is feeling better!
I know you went through a lot to set up for Ollie to come home, but in this case, it's better to have a breeder being cautious about sending home one of it's pups, than one that does not care what it comes home with. Not saying the pup's have Parvo, But...Parvo is a big thing with pups, and can be carried for miles away, along with other diseases, and this could be as simple as the pup's got something they should not have gotten into, but in the long run, I would much rather explain to a child the saftey and health concerns than why the pup is not coming home at all. This also is a great time to help you children learn about health care for animals, cause if the pup's would be staying at the Vet instead of the Breeder they would have to accept it anyway. Best wishes for you all and prayers your pup will make it home anyways.
I'm with Dianne on this one! Puppies with health issues need to be nursed back to health FIRST. This is a good opportunity for your son to learn that sometimes plans change and it's good to be flexible. Puppy will be home in no time, and more ready for the stress of a new life. Runny stools can mean a lot of things and the fact your breeder is willing to take care of this rather than send puppy home is a good thing. I know it's disappointing and you feel like your bubble of excitement and anticipation has been burst, but it's all for the better....and it will only be a few more days.
I recently picked up my Labradoodle from the breeder. He had an infection in both ears and coccidia. This is the second round of medication for Duke for coccidia. I called the breeder to let her know what was going on. She said she had started the other puppies on medication for coccidia. She said she was going to contact me....Hmmmm. Everytime my dogs poo I must clean it up right away. I have to watch my other doodle for loose stools and also bring in stool samples for her. Until this is cleared up there will be no walks in the park, going to the beach, taking the dogs to visit my mom in the nursing home etc. (Don't want to spread this around! I clean up after them with baggies when in public but Duke's poo is so runny it doesn't clean up very well.) I am glad your breeder let you know what is going on and is being responsible. She may save you a few bucks in the long run and extra visits to the vet. I wish I had a solution to your problem. It looks like you have some good suggestions from others. Good luck to you and enjoy your new puppy!
Thank you all for your responses. I spoke with the Breeder again this afternoon and she said Ollie's stool was solid today and that she is hopeful that the antibiotics were doing their job (the other puppies are improving as well - again - none of them acted sick - just the runny stools). We are going to talk again tomorrow but if things are better - am hoping they will bring him here on Saturday morning and come with us to our vet to have him checked out here. If we are not satisfied after the vet appt - I will have to have the Breeder take Ollie back home until this is completely resolved!
Stacey it sounds like you are taking a responsible course of action. I would let the breeder make the decision as to whether Ollie can come to you yet. What a responsible breeder. Applaud them.
Indeed. I know you really want that wee one home to embark on that courtship that begins your lifelong commitment to each other but please trust your breeder and her vet on this one. At this age there are many complications that could cause these symptoms, some minor and some REALLY bad. The fact that two separate litters have this alone warrants extra caution. I am certain that your breeder wants to take every precaution to ensure the beginning of your life together is started on the very best foot ~ it is what is best for your babe, your family and your breeders reputation.

I am looking forward to your homecoming stories!
I agree with all the others I would wait till the puppy is good and well. What if it is serious you bring him home and get to love it and something happens to the puppy? I think your breeder is being very responsible and you should be grateful to her.
Update - we waited an extra day and brought Ollie home last Saturday. We took him straight to the vet who declared him healthy and said to just finish the standard course of antibiotics. His poop is a little mushy but from what I have read - may just be typically puppy poop! We are really enjoying him - he is a sweet puppy. Doesnt mind his crate and last night slept thru the night from 10 to 7 for the first time which was great! Housetraining not going that well. He goes when we take him out but also goes in random times in the house - sometimes right after he has been out! Also - definately cant leave him alone for a minute or he chews on anything and everything! But he is the cutest dog I have ever seen and seems smart - he is almost 9 weeks - he already knows his name and is making progress on "sit" and "come"
keep a journal - you will see that things change so darn fast.
Maybe you need to keep him outside a little longer. Maybe he hasn't squatted long enough.
Have fun!!!!!!
I think Adrianne is right you may need to leave him out longer.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service