DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I see many photos of your Doodles out enjoying fun in the sun.  My question is about sunscreen?  Is there such a thing as sunscreen that is pet friendly for those early morning beach days?  We have not made a beach trip yet but it will happen.  Not sure Dublin will wear sunglasses or a hat......any thoughts to my overprotecting mothering ways would be greatly appreciated. 

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tara~ I've often wondered the same thing. Especially Sheeba's nose, which is a rose color and her skin when she is clipped short for the summer. I would love to take Sheeba to the beach, but have refrained so far.
Well then, we shall sit back and wait to be educated on the topic....stay tuned!

I haven't used any sunscreen on Tara yet but I found this article that has some interesting information about it:

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/sunscreen-for-dogs.html

The trick is to protect your dog from the sun without exposing him/her to chemicals that could be even more harmful...

Thanks for posting the article. I like the baby sun screen idea.
I am familiar with the Avalon Organics Baby line. I even use their shampoo on myself and Tara! It is very gentle.

That has been my concern Ricki, what would be safe for their tender noses and what if sprays got into the eyes? It appears from this article that even the sunscreens made just for dogs contain harmful chemicals in them and the average consumer would not be aware and think like most of us do, if it's recommended by ABC.. organization and made for dogs it must be safe.

(For example: We had been using Tom's Natural toothpaste on grandkids for awhile before I read the ingredients and there were some notably harmful chemicals is it, so I feel it's just so easy to be deceived)

I posted last Sunday about some new dark spots/freckles I noticed on Murphy's back. And I will mention to the Vet next week during annual visit, as I do know they can get sun damaged skin and possibly cancer from the sun. 

I don't expect the Vet to be any more educated about a safe dog sunscreen as she is about selling Science Diet, so I just will continue to keep Murphy's coat longer in the summer for more natural protection of his back, but there's still that doodle nose. And I really do think he would just lick off anything that was on his nose and if he's in the sun, he's usually swimming. So a sunscreen would have to be edible, waterproof and non toxic. Oh dear. 

I wonder how well the baby sunscreen washes out of their hair? Thanks for the article!!!
You're welcome! :) If they are going to be in and out of the water then you would probably have to use an oil based sunscreen or it will wash off everytime they get wet.  Since this one is for babies I doubt that it would be too difficult to wash out. Of course doodle hair is quite different from baby hair!! You might just have to try  a few experiments!  Maybe you can post your findings for us!!
We hit the beach just last weekend and no problems for the Girl but Me,  its a different story cause I have a lot less hair and I got the burn!  What about the owner? LOL
Hi Kevin,  What time did you go and how long did you stay?  Dublin is 6 mos. old.  How old is your girl?
We were out at around 11 in the morning and stayed for a solid hour.   Shelby ran the whole time, can you beleive it?  Shelby is 3 years and 8 months.
I always put the stick kids suncreen on Hunter's nose and the top of her snout where her fur parts.  I started doing it the first time I took her to the beach.  I am pastey, pale white and so are my fair haired, pastey, fair children so she was just next in the suncreen line LOL

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service