DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We continue to research breeders, and one of the breeders we are considering suggested that smaller dogs may be more hyper.  (We're looking at both 35-45 lb litters and 45-60 lb litters; she is encouraging the larger litter).  My understanding was that temperament was based on the parents, and that you could tell with Volhard testing (or by the breeder living with the puppies) whether they would be active or more laid back; that it was not a question of size as much as lineage and studying the puppy's personality.

What have your experiences been?  Is there any truth to the statement that smaller dogs tend to be more hyper?

Thanks so much for your insights,

James

Views: 277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No clue, sorry.  I have my observations ( not scientific ) and I find. like humans, all dogs are different.

In my life, I had some really hyper labs that just stopped at 3.5 years. My Mastiff was the most mellow.   Spud, is 60lbs but looks smaller and is 5.5 years old  and no one thinks he is a day over two. I'll use the word hyper myself a lot, but prefer to see him as zesty.  He is my forever Peter Pan dog. A player and a lover of life.  Energy is a good thing too.

My thoughts are though,that Spud would have been miserable in a very busy household with children. He can handle it now just fine, but I dont think it would have been a good dynamic for all involved. 

I love it!  From now on I'm going to refer to my pup as zesty.

LOL I am going to use ZESTY for Peri too :)  She is just over 5 also!

I agree with the other comments though.  There is no hard and fast rule about the smaller ones being more hyper. But Peri does get yappy and we blame it on the mini poodle in her.

This is purely anecdotal, there is no scientific evidence, studies or research to support it, but a lifetime of living with and learning about Poodles and Poodle mixes has taught me that Toy and Miniature Poodles tend to be more "yappy" and excitable (I dislike the word "hyper") than Standard Poodles. I am sure that is what this breeder means when she says that small dogs may be more "hyper".

However, you are right in that temperament comes from both parents, and any individual large Poodle or Poodle mix may be more "hyper" than any individual smaller one. There are lots of small dogs with calm temperaments and lots of big dogs who are excitable & high-strung. I really don't think it's something you can make a generalization about. The temperament of the parents is the most important factor. 

PS: There is no such thing as a truly "calm" or "laid-back" puppy. Any puppy who isn't "hyper" at least part of the time is a sick puppy. :) 

I agree with Karen that she was probably referring to the difference between standard poodles and mini/toys. That is what my research into the poodle breed (from when I was deciding if a doodle was right for me) has taught me anyway. My puppy, Ragley, was the most laid back, calm, and easy puppy EVER, but even she had spurts of high energy every now and then and still gets very playful at times. High puppy energy is normal and healthy :)

Start with two good parents and work with a breeder who knows dogs well so she can help you select the right puppy from the litter. Because frankly even two mellow parents aren't going to produce a litter of ALL mellow pups.  Just like my siblings and I didn't turn out all the same in personality.

This is a common misconception, and it may apply to certain breeds - but the individual and the observations, parents, and testing will tell the true tale.

I have had a size range from 4lbs to 124lbs -  Maltese, Yorkies, Labs, German Shepherds and many in between.  My Yorkies were the most mellow creatures! Not the average perception, but good lineage.   Adult GSD's were mellow,  puppyhood was a workout.

I have a Doodle who is 46lbs and she can get pretty darned wound up - she needs more exercise than any dog I have ever known. If over excited, she can get 'hyper', but it only lasts a short time  - still it's sometimes a bit much.  When she is well romped, she can be as lazy as a rug.  She is approaching two years old - the age when even GSD's begin to mellow, and she is ever so sweet - just excitable. 

Meanwhile I have a little fella, non-dood, who is topping out less than 30lbs and he is giving my past Yorkies a run in the mellow department.  He has his go-go-go moments, but he is very level with a temperament of sweetness.

Puppies are supposed to burn off steam, release energy, and all do this in individual ways. Which do you want to have to wrestle with - large or small?  neither, go for temperament.

It's not the size of the dog, it's the dog inside. 

Thanks so much for all the great feedback! It's really helpful.  And may I say, I love the term zesty. :-)

Of my three doodles, the smallest one, who is half mini-poodle is the calmest and also the smartest--the larger one, who is all standard in her inheritance, can be very hyper when it comes to guarding the property (barking at people walking by, etc) but is otherwise pretty calm...and I have a third doodle whose size is in the middle and he is also in the middle in temperament! So, I think the size is not the issue....I once got a Wheaten terrier puppy and was told that they had a large (as in calm) dog attitude in a smaller body--well, mine weighed 60 pounds and never had a calm day in his life...so you never know!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service