DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Ok we all know the laymens thoughts/old wives tale/popular belief. Call it what you wish:

*Females are smarter, are quicker to house train, are nicer urinators. (lol), tend to want their space, not as cuddly as males*.

*Males are not as bright, take longer to housebreak, cock their leg and pee on things, are a more loyal and loving companion to the owner than the female*

I have both genders. I know my male (now senior citizen) was harder to housebreak then the female we had (R.I.P) My female was smart as a whip and very sporty/athletic. (loved to swim, fetch etc), more agressive. (She would hold her own and if the kids hurt her she would snap back.(she wouldnt put up with nonsense from them)

The male is/was the ultimate cuddle/lovebug.(hated to swim, didnt want to retrieve), non agressive (if Ghandi were a dog- lol) The kids could hurt him (accidentally) and he wouldnt do anything to them back.(not condoned -accidental hurting but I swear he was so gentle they could have carried him by the tail)

But that could be breed not gender. The female was a miniature schanuzer/shitzu. The male her son - mixed with Bichon.

Yes I dont like the cocking comapred to the squatting. Yes I think females are smarter but thats because I feel that is the case in all of nature - especially humans. LOL!!

I would like your thoughts/experiences on Male vs Female.

Right now I have a 4 month old female puppy who is super intelligent (knows all sorts of tricks and has since 9 weeks old) I give her a B on potty training, (my first female who is now in heaven would have got an A+) My old man Bailey definitely a C-

Athleticism females A+, the old man would have gotten a C+

Affection/cuddliness Old Bailey A+, Abby B-, Female in heaven would have gotten a C+

Obsessively being in love with their masters all an A+

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I personally will not have another male. That is my preference. Because I have had male dogs before in my life time and I do not like the leg lifting and peeing on tires, flowers, trees, legs etc. etc. I had a Dashound that would lift his leg and pee on the cammode, constantly. My DH is not a dog lover and insists that we will never have another male dog for those reasons. I think they are very lovable, loyal pets, but I'll keep my girl Lucy. Just my opinion
That's so interesting. For me my heart is set on male dogs...maybe someday a little chocolate girl or a cream girl with rose nose...but Rosco has been a dream! Thule is more high maintenance...however, again small sample size--too small for me to draw a real conclusion.
Wow, this is a fascinating read and I cannot fathom the actual scientific answer, just know my own experiences. I have always thought this a great question and think it may matter when a dog is neutered. We are empty nesters and have owned three male dogs (goldens and corgis) and three female dogs (goldens, corgis and a lab mix) over our doggie history. Now we have a five month old labradoodle. All but one of our dogs was neutered, and all were considered "intelligent" dogs and responded well to training. The corgis were pretty much push-button dogs but not nice with small children - either male or female. We have never had any difficulty potty training any of these dogs, so I would give them all the same grade. Only our intact male ever lifted his leg, so we never had to deal with marking and urinating in the wrong place. Overall, our females were much moodier at every stage, were quicker to "walk away and sulk" when they were annoyed. They were also less cuddly in general, but required less "look at me" kind of attention and were more content to be left alone or hang out in the house. Our males have all been more cuddly, more loving in general, more "plugged in" to the family - but also more needy in terms of "watch me and play with me". Our doodle is the kindest and fastest learner so far. That could also be because our kids are all gone.....but he is spectacular with our grandkids. Last week I "caught" my three year old grandson "petting" Buddy with such force that I had to scold the kid. Buddy did not snap, growl, or even walk away (duh!), he just sat there and took it like he was expected to cowboy up! LOL The attachment Buddy has to me and his very genuine enthusiasm to use his brain in training is fabulous. He can be a little needy and insistent when he wants something, but is not a barker nudges me with his nose to get my attention, or sits and stares at me. I have hardly ever heard him bark and he does not "sound off" when we are at the dog park, or out in the community (hooray I hope this continues). I have no idea if he will ever lift his leg. He was neutered as a puppy and still squats which works for me. He thinks every dog and every human on the planet love him - which is a blessing and a curse, but I wouldnt trade that attitude for anything. Love to read your posts on this topic!
That is similar to my experience with male vs female. my male would stare, groan, and paw at me a lot trying to get me to do stuff - he is quite demanding about attention being paid to him - lol. But he was generally sweeter and more cuddly too. However, he was the one who would howl like a wolf baying at the moon when we left the house and get the female started - lol. Bailey cocks his leg to pee even though he was neutred as a puppy.

The female was smarter, more independent, less demanding of affection, tough and athletic.

This new female is still very young but we will see if she turns out more similar to the female I used to have or the male I have.
I have had 3 female goldens, all quick to learn housebreaking, never counter surfed, never begged, all wanted to sleep with us, now I have 2 males, the Goldendoodle was quick to housebreak, never counter surfs, never beggs, never lifts his leg, only cuddles when he wants too, never wants to sleep with us, our other male a labradoodle, is ADD, took until 6 mos old to housebreak, but still has the excitement peeing, counter surfs like no tomorrow, hangs under your feet while you eat and stares at you, drags all his toys out and all over the house, sloppy eater, plays in the water bowl, rough in the house, jumps on top of you if you are sitting and watching tv in the garabage cans, chews mail, mag, shoes steels socks, underwear. but, he is so sweet, lovable and cuddly, and suggles right when we get in bed, then after we fall asleep he jumps down and joins his brother. He follows me all over the house, cries if I leave him. doodlekisses all the time.
LOL! did you ever watch Beverly Hills Chihuahua? There is a scene in that movie when two dogs talking to each other in the beauty salon and one makes a comment "oh that labradoodle is just crazy" LOL!
I have two boys....both are definite cuddlers, both did pretty well with potty training. They are both squatters, never figured out the leg raising thing. But their personalities are very different. One is a chewer, the other isn't....one is a barker, the other one isn't...one is a scaredy cat and the other one fears nothing. I think it doesn't really matter what sex they are...it's all about personality.
The leg lifting thing is interesting, if I am reading correctly, sounds like some neutered males do and some don't? When would I start to see it if buddy is going to? He is not quite six months. I guess I dont care since he is so good about potty and doesnt mark - no other dogs to "compete" with here either. Sometimes when he squats he is lazy and pees on his tummy LOL, so that I guess would go away and I wouldnt feel "crusties" on his belly.
A lot of neutered males squat, but then will lift their legs on tree trunks, mailboxes, etc. when they're outside of their own yard on walks. I think that's the "pee mail" scent marking thing, and when they're just relieving themselves, they don't feel the need to leave a "calling card." That's how Jack is, and I think I've heard the same thing from other owners of males.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service