DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

That's what a vet tech said this morning, when the conversation in the examination room turned to hairy ears.  The vet hastily said, "Or the best!"  But this comment by the vet tech was just a reminder of how polarized opinions seem to be about our doodles.  The first groomer I took Trav to informed me that she couldn't understand why anybody would mate two perfectly fine breeds to create a...labradoodle.  (I could almost hear what she REALLY wanted to say instead of labradoodle.)  That groomer shaved Trav's nose, not once but twice--even though I specifically asked one time that he just be bathed, not clipped or trimmed in any way.  We don't go there any more.    

I know there have been discussions before about how people react to labradoodles and goldendoodles.  Seems to be love 'em or hate 'em.  But nobody has ever said 'the worst of both breeds' in my presence before.  Trav was there too, but he didn't care.  :)

Has anybody else's doodle been called something derogatory?  And why do people think it's okay to make comments like that to a dog's owner?   

Views: 348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On the discussion board of my town, I posted a question asking about labradoodles before I got one.  I got more than one response along the lines of, "You are asking for trouble.  What if you get the prolonged immaturity of a Lab with the smarts of a poodle?  Could be a terror."  Not an unfounded comment, but something I didn't take all that seriously either.

Genetics are roulette and I trusted and hoped the breeder would not combine her most immature dog with her craftiest.

And, well, I guess I got lucky/was right to trust.  Porter is mature, devoted and um, maybe not the brightest bulb in the box.  Hard to tell.  He "can't" get his own toys out of his bin and is afraid of the dark.  He also has great recall and won lots of contests in training class.  The "how many times will your dog sit and lie down over and over for the same treat" contest, he won by a long shot.  But I am amazed at y'alls dogs who can open doors and select toys on command.

I think these techs and groomers and random strangers we pass by who make comments are basing their analysis on 50% prejudice (i.e. they are looking hard for flaws) and 50% observation of actual people who buy a breed because it is "cool" and are less likely to do a good job training the dog because the purchase was a whim. 

(I am in no way saying I am exempt from that category...I do think doodles are cool, and I have not trained Porter perfectly.) 

I love that Porter won the 'how many times will your dog sit and lie down for the same treat.'  Too funny!  I'm going to have to try this one.  :) 

I've read some groomer discussion groups where the complaint was exactly what you mentioned--crazy owners who overpay big-time just to look cool by having a designer dog.  And I can understand groomer frustration with owners who want to have a long-coated dog but don't want to deal with matts.  Maybe owners of other kinds of dogs get unsolicited negative comments too.  Dunno--this is my first dog.

I am sorry this happened to you and Trav.  No answers but this is from one of my blogs.

"A lady with two standard poodles in the crowd, upon hearing that he was a goldendoodle, remarked " I think it is disgusting that they would use a poodle to breed that. He is just a mutt."

I didn't respond, and fortunately, was already past her when I heard the remark. It really irked me, to say the least."

Murphy called a "that??"  I would have wanted to smack that lady.  People seem to forget that all the breeds started as mutts.  I'm not overly sensitive about the doodle prejudice, but I must say Trav was behaving absolutely beautifully at the vet this morning, when the 'worst' comment was made.  I'd noticed that one of his eyes looked filmly, which scared me.  Turned out he just had some pollen or something in his eye and it wasn't a major problem.  Anyhow, he got his temperature taken, his eyes examined and treated and his ears plucked, and he just stood like a rock, not pulling away or whimpering or anything, though his back legs started shaking before everything got done.  I was really proud of him. 

I have heard a lot of comments of how stupid we are for paying all that money for a mutt. I have heard a lot of comments. No one has ever said anything directly to me if they did, I may haul off and kick them. I am all for live and let live, I don't get on people for not getting doodles, (dumb as they are for not ha ha) don't get on me for making the choice to get one.

One time a kid was making fun of my dog for barking, the kid was teasing Jack at his own fence in his own  yard.. I yelled at that kid so hard. Anyone who knows me knows I have never yelled at anyone or anything. Recently my friend came over with her friend, My friend and I both have doodles, and my friends friend said right in front of me Jack is cute but I don't prefer him. I ripped Jack from her arms and held Jack all night. A bit protective much?? Don't mess with my baby and I won't mess with yours.

Jennifer--I sure wouldn't mess with Jack.  :)  Maybe your friend didn't prefer him, but it seems pretty thoughtless to say so.  Anyhow, Jack is the BESTEST.  

LOL Pat, Jack is not for everyone, he is a little dood, so he is even more of a special selection, however he is perfect for me. I love the big dogs too and if I could handle one I would snag one in a second.  That is the beauty, of letting people live their own lives without judging them. You be happy with what you have, and be happy for what others have too.

We know our doods rule!!

That is what I think. Many people just forget that their purebreds were mutts once too. It annoys me when people call them just mutts that people overpay for when you could go to the shelter and pick any other mutt. Doodles are not just any mutt...
So true, Taylor, Bryce & Huff!  My mutt was thoroughly medically tested for a whole bunch of things when he was a baby.  He was socialized and handled from the day he was born.  He was neutered and his dew claws removed at the appropriate time.  His parents have been evaluated for temperment and health.  Those are some of the things I paid for when I got him, and worth every penny!   
Huff was too:) Just like any purebred. Huff does have his front dew claws though. I think every doodle is worth whatever you payed for them. They are so great:)
I think that people have become so critical and judgmental in the past few years.  It's just an observation that I have made.  It now seems ok to comment about peoples weight or hair or what they are wearing. All sorts of derogatory comments and so it's no surprise that they feel it's ok to say things about our dogs too.  I feel the media and in particularly these reality TV shows are partly to blame.  Programmes where people are encouraged for the sake of entertainment to tease and goad each other.  It is never ok  in my opinion to make comments about our dogs for they are members of our family.  It's like criticizing our children and that is a definite no no.  It reflects badly on those who are rude. I was taught as a child to be polite and never to hurt another persons feelings.    If it should happen to me I hope that I will find words that will not be rude but that will firmly say that this sort of talk is not acceptable.
Very well said Nicky.  I agree!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service