DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Has anyone used the training technique with a throw chain (AKA a Rattle Chain)? I was just wondering how it worked for you?

If anyone is interested of what or how it works:
We went to the trainer yesterday with Riley for "step 2" after the tethering of last week. Which I am so glad it is over, it is hard to be tied to a puppy for 10 days! The trainer has us using a small alloy link chain (6 links long) to rattle when Riley is doing something we do not like.

He started by conditioning Riley to not like the noise. He did this by tossing it at his rump twice. As he did this, as soon as it hit Riley's rump I was to crouch down and call RIley like I had no idea what happened either but I was going to protect him from it. The first time Riely yelped, not because it hurt him, but because it scared him. He came flying at me when I called him.We did that twice and then moved on to setting Riley up for things he should not do. Such as stealing a glove off the ground, and opening the door and letting him move towards it to run outside. As soon as he made a move towards doing it we rattle the chain and Riley stops dead in his tracks. The whole process took less than 45 minutes.

We were told to stop and get more of the chain and put them in strategic places around the house so it is always in reach when we need it. It is important to use the same chain and same amount of links so it makes the EXACT noise as the conditioned noise. He also told us that very rarely will you ever have to throw or toss the chain at the puppy, the noise of rattling it will stop him dead in his tracks.

Well, I was a little skeptical of him stopping in his tracks when he is in hot pursuit of the our two cats. Or trying to bite at the pant legs of the kids,but IT DID!! I just rattled that chain on the counter, not even picking it up just moving it around on the counter and saying "unh unh".

So I was wondering if anyone else used this technique or something similar and how well it works or worked for them?

Views: 2344

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If this works, that is great. We tryed the tin can full of coins method. Most of the time the noise startled us more than the dog. Has anyone seen those portable training devices you can buy . They look like a TV converter and you push a button for negative behaviour that emits a high frequency sound that the dog hates. I am at my wits end with my 5 1/2 mth old pup jumping on the counters. Although we clear the area constantly, cpreparing meals is a challenge. I actually thought about buying this device-but didn't. I saw these mats on the internet that zap the dog when he touches them. They have some which are long and narrow made for counters!! Very expensive and I'd probably zap myself as well. So, someone told me that two sided tape may work. Apparently they don't like the stickiness on their paws. I will give this a try. Any other ideas will be appreciated.
Another device I've heard of that sounds GREAT...is those motion detectors. You can totally do a 'set up' with WONDERFUl smelling stuff on the counter, JUST out of reach (but within his hope!)...when the motion detector sense his paws in reach it emits a loud alarm sound startling him off the counter and then you can run out from where you are and act as though the sky is falling (and NOT even mad at him which is cool).

Otherwise the only thing to do is keep counters clear or him crated if he is not within your sight so he can't practice the naughtiness and get better at it! Harder to break the habit once it's gotten super well formed. And hard to stop them if you don't catch them in the act yourself.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service