DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello All!

I have been holding out on neutering Milton because I find it to be extremely unnatural; however, since Milt just turned seven-months-old, we were give the daycare ultimatum, so it is neuter him now, or he cannot return.  Milton absolutely loves daycare (three days per week), but I feel like as his mom I am hurting him by allowing this surgery to happen.  Neutering Milton honestly reminds me of a human lobotomy, and I can't bear the thought.  Quite honestly, since I made the neuter appointment this morning, I have been very teary-eyed about the whole event.  If we lived out in the country, I would never think to do this, but as a city dog, it is very easy to be banned from many things, simply because you have not been snipped.  Have any of you ever dealt with similar feelings of guilt and regret?

Views: 2370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Honestly, no.  I think neutering is the responsible thing to do.  Taking away the dog's reproductive ability is way different than scrambling a human brain.

I agree with you that 'unnecessary' surgeries seem cruel and unusual, but I've read that even the sweetest intact male dogs can become aggressive or problematic if they are not allowed to breed.  I really think you'll be doing him a favor with the snip.  Essentially this is the equivalent of a man, never being allowed to *ahem*.. well.  Your intact boy may end up becoming quite frustrated with his situation of having testicles that he is not allowed to do anything with, and could end up taking that frustration out on other dogs or people... 

He will be fine, it is the responsible thing to do. Honestly, he will never know the difference. There is an intact doodle at the parks we go to and he is so obnoxious and slightly aggressive, and I really think him being intact has something to do with it. Good luck and keep us posted.

I can't understand your thinking here. In what way is neutering a dog like having a lobotomy? A person needs a functioning brain to live a happy life. A dog doesn't need testicles to do so. In what way is it "unnatural" to neuter a dog? Is it "natural" to shave a dog's coat, or even to have him groomed? To put a collar and leash on him? For that matter, it isn't "natural" to cut a dog's nails.  You do that, don't you?

To me, it would be extremely cruel to keep a dog intact and force him to live with sexual urges that he is never allow to indulge, whether you live in the country or not. And that's what you would be doing to him by leaving him unneutered, forcing him to live his entire life in sexual frustration, unless you were planning on being an irresponsible dog owner and allowing your untested dog to mate and bring bring more unwanted puppies into the world.

Neutering and spaying pets is the responsible, and to me, the only thing to do. You would be banned from more than daycare with an intact dog. You would also never be allowed to adopt a rescue dog, and not even to foster one. Intact males are generally more aggressive than neutered males, especially towards other dogs. Most dog owners keep their dogs away from intact males in dog parks and other social gatherings.  Intact male dog also often "mark" in their homes. Many owners of stud dogs have to keep belly bands on them to keep them from leaving urine all over their homes.  

I am 60 years old, I have lived with dogs for 54 of those years, all of my friends and relatives have had dogs, and every single one of them has been spayed and neutered. To me, not doing it would be unnatural, and very irresponsible.

Thank you, Karen for putting this down so clearly. Neutering and spaying is the only responsible way to own a pet. Most breeders demand that in their contracts. I don't remember if Milton is from a reputable breeder, but I don't think he is a rescue. I hope that Heidi understands the importance of having her pup neutered for their sake and the neighborhood. 

You mentioned a good point. Only puppy mills and BYBs sell intact dogs without a spay/neuter contract, and in many cases, the breeders do it before the puppies even come home. 

And of course, rescue groups and shelters always spay and neuter before allowing a dog to be adopted.

very well said!

I have heard this from others people too and it is hard to understand if you are a person who has always had a neutered or spayed pet because those pets go on to live happy healthy lives! But for some people, taking away the pet's parts is cruel--believe me, it is not!!! I have an unspayed female who has to have one more litter for my breeder by contract and I also have her son here and he is a stud dog for the breeder--let me tell you, that is a rough situation--he is much more active and more "antsy" than he would be because he feels like he has a responsibility to the female (he doesn't have any problem with that female being his mother....) He has to mark the yard, check her pee and cover it with his own,etc., --the poor guy is very busy all day!  I can't wait until she is spayed next year to get this situation over with! And he will be neutered soon after once he has been used for breeding a few times. Their lives are so much more complicated when they are intact. And the males do feel like they have to be on guard all the time--Milt will be calmer and less aggressive if neutered now--he may not be aggressive now though--it starts AFTER the age of one. You will be preventing it.

Now, I know some people are shaking their heads as to why I would do this with my dogs, but many people act as "guardian homes" and have a contract with the breeder so that they can afford to get a doodle. That was the case with me. And that contract is almost up and my doodles can have a more normal carefree life. Rio does not go to dog parks and is very wary when we take walks and there are other dogs around--he started this just a few months ago at the age of 18 months after being a pretty happy-go-lucky guy and it is something I need to work on all the time--you would be avoiding all that. 

I think that deep down you have been taught some sort of belief that male dogs have to be intact to be happy and healthy--not true and please put that behind you--it is a myth!

PS--Neutering is a very simple and straightforward surgery that will cause him very little pain--most people have a hard time keeping the dog quiet afterwards because they want to run around and play! He will hardly notice it UNLESS you wait until he is older--don't.

Not one ounce of regret.  Except for the puppy mill I could have built with Rosco's fabulous progeny... ;-)  Just kidding.  Yeah, really, it's the responsible thing to do.  Milton won't miss them.

What would Bob say here? Hmmm....i know! "help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered.". :)

I am surprised that you feel this way.  Modern best practice and knowledge has deemed neutering to be the most responsible thing you can do as a pet owner for many years.  I do not know one vet or person working in rescue that would say otherwise.  No one likes to have their beloved pet put under an anesthetic but in this case it is totally necessary and the responsible thing to do.  My Riley came to me already neutered and Boris my puppy will be neutered at six months due to the contract with the breeder. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service