DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hey guys, wondering if you have the same problem...

Since we've picked up Georgia she has always scratched a lot, usually her face. We thought it could be an allergy to a food item, something outdoors, something in the house, etc., but the vet never gave an indication as to what it may be.

We've recently gotten Coral, Georgia's mom, and she seems to scratch just as much as Georgia. It can't be something around our home or their food because she was scratching while we were in the car. They both scratch their face the most and I know they don't have fleas. I figured that face was probably an allergy of some kind, but we were a whole state away when Coral was scratching, and it happens year around.

My parents dog stayed with us for a week while they were on vacation, he was never a big scratcher and didn't start while in our care.

We're kind of at a loss as to what it could be. Does your doodle scratch a lot, or do we need to purchase an allergy kit for them?

Views: 282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Calla was scratching like crazy this fall despite Evening Primrose Oil. I gave her Allegra at time, which helped. Since she was groomed about a week ago, and it snowed she is scratching much less.I am not sure what bothers her but fall is always an itchy time for her.It could be pollen or leaf mold etc. An allergy kit you purchase is probably worthless. Karen, of Karen and Jackdoodle has written a lot on all this. A veterinary dermatologist can do skin testing. But I have avoided this since Calla's problems are seasonal and I have been able to manage them. This fall was about the worst and both Calla and Luca were licking and I fended off several hot spots.

Don't waste your money on an "allergy kit", they are notoriously unreliable.  

It would be very odd if both dogs had the same allergies, even though they are related. Allergies also rarely cause itching on the face only. And if it was something in the house or yard, it wouldn't be happening year round in various parts of the country.

It's possible it's a yeast infection, especially if they are using the same water bowls and especially if the bowls are plastic. 

You might want to try giving them fish oil supplements or evening primrose oil capsules and see if that helps. Use stainless steel bowls, wash them with soap daily, and keep their faces as clean and dry as possible. 

Ideally, the Omega 6:3 ratio of their food should be :1 or less, and the Oemga 3 content should come from fish. Omega 3 fatty acids can help a lot with itching. 

That Omega 6:3 ratio should be 5:1 or less. Missed a key, lol. 

Thanks so much guys. Mindy has already given both of the girls some fish oil today, so hopefully we'll see some results in a couple of weeks. We already have the stainless bowls, so we're already ahead of the game there. We'll be sure to wash them frequently.

Alex, how long is the hair on their face? Racey scratches her face when the hair is long there bc it gets matted really easily. We're lucky bc it's more like tangled hair than matting, I can easily brush it out. I usually brush her about once-twice a week depending on how long her hair is, but her face needs to be brushed more regularly when I let it get long.

Coral hair was just shaved before she had her last little a few months ago, so her hair is still very short. Georgia's hair is longer, but relatively short compared to a lot of the doodles on here. We also brush them both every other day.

Alex, we have two doodles and one hardly ever scratches and then when Bella came she scratched more than she didn't. It seemed she could hardly sit still and we tried so many different treatments, such as oatmeal shampoos, soapless shampoos, grain-free and limited protein diets, EPO, Fish oils, bathing often and not bathing often. We finally resorted to using what Karen suggested, Douxo Shampoo and the results were immediate and very noticeable. It has decreased her itching from many times an hour to just a few times a day. If she starts to scratch more than that, it means its time for another bath. She gets one about every 7-10 days. So that is all I can add. Barring other skin conditions or allergies to her environment, this might help you.
Which kind? The maintenance, calm, or chlorhexidine formula?

I use Douxo Calm. 

I used it too and it was great. but the groomer can use gallons of the stuff. The time before I brought it to the groomer and she complained that it was insufficient so I had her use it only on calla. So this time I just had oatmeal used on both and I do think that helped Calla a lot too. So between the bath and getting rid of lots of hair and whatever was in/ on her she is scratching much less--hallelujah.

It takes a special talent not to use too much of it. I've had groomers who used half a bottle for one bath, but the good ones use much less, and work a little harder to get a lather going. 

yes, when I did it myself i used much less but...

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service