DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We broke down and bought the Gentle Leader for Peri (goes around the snout).  I know, I know, it "masks" the pulling that happens, but we had had enough.  Right now, it is too hard to train both dogs on a leash at once. 

So, DH had Peri fit for one on Saturday.  Our trainer told us to put it on her around the house, let her eat in it, etc...DH did this while I was out of town.  She is pitiful when we put it on her.  She just lies down and pouts.  DH called me during lunch and said she was asleep on his feet pouting with it on (we leave it on for about 20-30 minutes off and on to get her used to it).

Yesterday I took her on her first walk with it and the first 1/2 mile was terrible. She wanted to lie down and pull it off. Finally she started heeling perfectly, but would still end up behind me and jump/put her front paws up my legs - telling me "mom please...".  We did make it over 2 miles (surprisingly).

We are doing this for her safety and our sanity because she pulls so much.  Do any of you have tips to help her tolerate it or is this just something they will get used to????

Please keep in mind we do frequent walks, at least 3-4 per day for 15 minutes each. Tonight it is gorgeous and I am doing a 3 miler with the dogs.  So no pulling is a must.  We live in a condo.

Thanks for any advice.

Update 9/30:  After much thought, I decided Peri was not going to train me into feeling sorry for her and taking the head harness off.  Maybe I have some pride???  Anyway, I set out at 5pm last night for a 3 mile walk on the greenway. Told DH to hang with Taquito.  Dropped liver treats in my pocket.  Put the pink gentle leader on her and rubbed her ears, talked in that annoying baby voice with some high pitches, gave her a liver treat, and we set out.  Starting out was rough - she scooted in the grass and tried to paw off the halter.  As soon as she would stand up and concentrate on me and walking, she got the "yes, good girl" and a liver treat. Once we hit the pavement on the greenway, she was perfect. PERFECT the whole time.  I kept yesing and treating when she would focus on me.  She even peed on the walk (breakthrough with harness on)!  At the end, there is a big field (where we start out, right outside of my condo).  I spent 10 minutes walking her in grass - she did not paw at it once.  DH did not believe me until we took her out later - no pawing.  Same thing this morning. 

WHO'S TRAINING WHO NOW??  That walk was the most pleasant, perfect walk I have EVER had with any dog.

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, no gentle leader experience but I love my pinch collars and the dogs never had an adjustment problem.
I am a total gentle leader wuss, so I'm quite curious to see how this goes!!! Keep us posted. I think that Lady Peri will adjust in no time!
My dogs also hate the gentle leader that goes around the nose so I have switched to the gentle leader harness...it clips on the front of the chest instead of around the nose! It's called the EasyWalk harness and it is amazing...

http://www.buygentleleader.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/behavio...
I used the harness as well. Loved it. There was no getting use to it, it just worked.
This is actually what I told DH to buy (Easy Walk), but you know MEN (some of them!). Didn't listen or write it down.
I am going to give her a little more time and will try the Easy Walk if she won't tolerate it.
Tell DH to return it and get the one you asked for~ :)
We use the harness too! There is no other way to walk...smile. Really. Adood is a complete gentleman on the harness. Right at my side the whole time.
We saved the packaging, maybe I can get him to trade it in???
Most stores will allow you to exchange it; I love the GL Easy Walk harness. There is no adjustment necessary and the oulling stops immediately. I wouldn't be without it. I would definitely try to exchange the head halter for the harness...you and Peri will be so much happier!
I used the Easy Walk Harness on Lucca too and loved it. In fact our trainer recommended it during training. When we walked he couldn't pull because he would fall on his face!! I plan to use it with the new pup too!!!
The Gentle Leader makes it look like they have a muzzle on:)
I am so glad I saw this post. The other day I was looking at them and decided not to buy because I had no clue which one to get.
Yes, Yes Yes! the Easy Walk was great since day 1 that we used it. Kashmir never minded it and she walks great. She wasn't an awful puller, but any pulling is annoying! She does stop and sniff sometimes, but when we go walking everyday, we decide at the beginning whether this walk will be just an exercise walk or a "smelling" walk which can take more time, but I know she LOVES that!!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service