DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Since I have posted many times with concerns about Chewie's resource guarding, I thought I would update.  Also, I know there are a number of other members with similiar problems who would likely be interested.  To begin with, I think there has been some improvement as he has gotten older (now 10 months), but obviously any behavior of this sort is too much.  People outside of our home...groomers, daycare staff, etc are shocked when I mention he has a problem at all as they have never seen any sign of it while in their care.  In fact, at daycare they often use him to test temperments of new dogs because he is so good and plays so well.

Yesterday we had a visit with a behavioral vet who came very highly recommended by our regular vet.  She was just wonderful, so kind and non-judgemental.  She has devoted 17 years to studying animal behavior and it is all she practices.  It was a two hour appointment so I could probably write a book, but will try to summarize.  Basically, it's likely some or most of the behavior comes from Chewie's mom...remember she resource guarded food from her pups...even snapping at them.  It is not an uncommon problem for whatever reason it occurs, can never be "cured" but certainly controlled.  We spoke extensively and she said she was very impressed by so much we had already done and how informed we were and the understanding we had of the problem.  She feels we are very close to a big improvement.  She provided us with a wealth of information and some methods to help desensitize the problem.  Everything she said/explained made so much sense.  She also provided information that the theory of the alpha dog and the whole pack mentality is an outdated theory as provided in the position statement by the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior.  Obviously our dogs need direction and need to be a good citizen in our home, but they really don't want to "be the boss" nor do they understand respect (or the lack of) for their owners.  As nice as it is to have an obedient dog, he can do the very best sits, stays and downs, but it won't keep him from resource guarding if that is his tendency.  We need to recognize his triggers (we do), read his cues and work on avoidance along with the desensitizing and she is confident that in six months we'll look back at this as a distant memory.  She said we don't have to "work hard" at it, just incorporate it into our everyday life and Chewie's.

Thanks to everyone who shared their advice and opinions with us along this journey.  We are happy to be making strides and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oops, my router acted up in the middle of that. Trying again...
Attachments:
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this Laura! I have printed it and gave a copy to a friend of mine.
I think this is really, really great news. Good luck and I really hope to hear that it is truly a memory in 6 months!
Awesome! What a big help this is and reassuring, since this is what I have been trying to do with my resource guarder. I have tried to not allow any situation where she growls or bullies our other doodle. The other day, she got a new toy and I separated them until the "newness" wore off. I had never done this before, but she keeps getting more aggressive with Mattie and I think it is because it is becoming habit. If they had been together, I would have seen the behavior I am trying to stop. After a few hours, I put them together again. She still considered the toy hers, but was much less paranoid about Mattie taking it. Then I gave her treats for dropping it a few times and she seemed fine after that.
I guess the key is to reinforce the good behavior and avoid situations that induce the bad behavior, so that they do not become used to doing the wrong thing--sound right?
Sounds exactly right and not just so they don't become "used" to that behavior, but mainly so they don't see that behavior as a successful solution. The more they are allowed to escalate to that point, the harder it is to reverse it. I still have material to read and sort through and some recommended websites to view. As I do this, I will continue to post the links and info I see as most valuable. I will be so happy if this results in help for others also.
That's great news, Laura. I know we have commented back and forth with this issue. I too have had to learn what will make Tori guard.... it's never food. Just things - OUR things that she steals... I know now NOT to try to take something away from her when she's under the table or under my son's bed. Perhaps this makes her feel threatened. We must lure her away from those spots. I have also learned to read HER body language too.I'd love to hear more. Please keep us all up to date on what your behaviorist suggests. Keep up the good work. I am so happy for you!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service