DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Today, I was sitting out on our swing on our deck while Vern and Fudge were playing in the yard. The next thing I know I start hearing yelps....lots of squeals and yelps. This never happens, so I knew something was very wrong. I ran down our steps only to find that Vern's mouth was stuck on Fudge's collar and he could not let go. He was choking Fudge. Her collar was so tight, I could not get my fingers under it. I couldn't find the clasp and I could not get his mouth unstuck. So, back up the steps I went like a wild woman, screaming for my husband, to try and get scissors to cut the collar off. The sounds they were making were terrifying. Of course, our scissors were not were they were supposed to be, so I am yelling and running around trying to find the scissors. I found the scissors and my husband and I ran down the steps and just as he got to them, they came unstuck. Both dogs were so scared and I will never forget Vern's eye looking up at me while they were stuck. He was terrified. They play great together and are very good with one another, so this was an accident, but when I think of all the things that could have gone wrong, it makes me sick. What if I had not heard the commotion...what if my DH had not been home....what if I never found the scissors????

I have Christmas collars on both the dogs. Fudge takes a medium, but I keep having trouble with the collars loosening and there is a gap created that makes it easy for the other to grab onto. Does anyone have a solution or a better collar I could buy? Right now, we are not letting Fudge play outside with a collar on, but that could be trouble if she ever got loose. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Views: 212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my goodness, Laurie! THANK God you were there... try not to think of the "what-ifs", although I KNOW that is difficult to do.. You WERE there and they are okay. having collars on worry me too when you think of what COULD happen. But the chance of something worse happening without them on is probably a higher percentage! I am sure everyone will respond soon with suggestions... have a cup of tea to relax! You all need lots of extra cuddling and lovin' today! Hope you have time today to relax together! {and by the way... you're a brave woman sitting out there so eaarly! It's frrrreeeezzzzing here on Long Island! - :o) }
Thanks, Shelly.
First I echo what everyone has said and am so happy that they are both ok! This is something that I have always worried about with Lucy and Sophie. For about 1.5 years I used "Break Away" Collars that are made so that if they get caught on anything they break away. Many times I've realized that one of them didn't have their collar on and would go out and find it in the back yard. The problem that I had was that when I would need to grab them at the front door or something if I didn't grab the collar in just the right spot, it would break away on me as well. So I finally gave up and put regular collars back on them. I just pray this never happens ..... although they are never outside alone so I would be there if anything happened, but the question is would I be able to help them! I'm not sure what the answer is ..... I'll be watching responses as well!

Give them an extra hug today!
My daughter talked about the break away collars, but I was worried that they would come apart at the wrong time. I was glad to read your post. Thank you! They are sleeping side by side, which is a good thing :)
So sorry about this incident Laurie but very happy to hear they are ok and don't seem to see it as any reason to be scared of each other. Thanks for sharing as this is clearly an incident we all need to know can happen.
How scary for you and your poor dogs. Glad everything turned out alright.
Yes, that happened to my 2 dogs, too ..... very scary. After that incident, I quit putting collars on my dogs, but then a Verizon worker entered my back yard (we were having FIOS cablelines installed), and he didn't close the gate door firmly. Both dogs got out and started running down the street. ( I live on a pretty busy corner lot). They weren't wearing collars .... fortunately a neighbor was able to coax one of my dogs into her back yard. My other dog, who is shy & nervous around strangers, was close enough to hear me calling his name ... and he came back on his own - but it took a while. My dogs now wear collars, and I make sure they fit snugger than they use to. I also use collars with a "quick release" - rather than the buckle style.
Another good point about the no collar. We have all been taking Fudge's collar off, but I was worried that she would get loose. I am going to look for a new collar tomorrow.
No suggestions, but I'm glad both dogs are okay!
Laurie, I am so glad you were their and that they are both OK. I would of been terrified. I have no clue of what you could of done different, I hope someone else can suggest something.
OMG Laurie!! You probably don't want to take your eyes off of them for a moment! Rosey and Bandit wear the Lupine buckle collars with matching leashes. They don't adjust at all and stay firmly in tact. And the leashes are guaranteed, if they chew threw it you get a free replacement....

{hugs} to you, fudge and vern:)
I have used Lupine before, but switched to Holiday collars and they are just not as snug. Going back to the regular collar for Fudge. Vern is the one who pulls on her collar. I am going to get another Lupine tomorrow. Thank you!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service