DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We picked him up a year ago from the breeder at 10 weeks and all his car experiences have been in our car. We can’t think of anything that happened to him that could have caused him to be afraid. Perhaps he doesn’t like the motion.

At first he was pretty exuberant in the back sit, but very shortly after he became hesitant and not wanting to get in the car.
We take him to the park or some fun place about four times a week. Each time he approaches the car we have to encourage him to get in and give him a boost up. Once we put the car in drive he goes down on the seat and won’t get up till we reach our destination and put the car in park or release our sit belts. The longest he’s been in the car is about 45 minutes. During the whole time he’s in the car, you would never know you had a dog in the back seat; he has never thrown up, cried or showed any discomfort.

Otherwise, he is a well adjusted, very happy, fun loving and playful dog. We would love to take longer trips with him, but we don’t know if he could tolerate it.

Has anyone experienced similar concerns with their doodle, or have any suggestions?
Toni

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yankee is the same as Morgan. He has to be coaxed into the van but I used to have to boost him too. He sits in the front seat with me and doesn't move. He is nervous and I don't know why. He did get car sick as a puppy but doesn't anymore.

I even tried treats to get him to jump in but no go. Maybe try a doggie seatbelt for him to feel more secure or the front seat. I tried the seatbelt but it didn't work either. Yankee knows we're going to the dog park so he gets in but he isn't comfortable at all.
Yankee doesn't fit in the front seat that well either. I have a console but I throw a thick blanket across the seat and console so he can lay across it.
That's encouraging..we might want to try a 2 hr trip.
We don't have a problem, wit Caeleach, even though she still throws up on two of our curvy roads. She still jumps in the car, whenever we want to take her with us.

Our prblem is with the Poodle; he has never had a negative experience, with us, yet he has to be lifted and put into the car. Once he is in, he lovesit. He just seems t b afraid to get in.
We have to lift Morgan into the car and once he is in he totally ignors us and looks at the back seat the whole time. Can't figure it out.
I use to have problems with Honey in the car, along with car sickness all the time. We would no sooner be in the front of the car and her face was slobering wet and foamy like she had rabies. She was an older pup at 6 mos. when she first rode in a car. I took my other dog Hannah with us all the time and still the same result, car sickness. Everday we went through 3 to 4 blankets or towels in the car. We always go to the dog parks and agility classes, and it always ended with the same results. Honey finally decided she loves to ride in the back with her sister Hannah and will lie down while Hannah is up and down. I am rather glad she does lie down, and I don't have to worry about her getting into trouble in the car, or causing any accidents. She has also become more comfortable in the car and will sometimes stand between the seats and rest her head on my shoulder and watch were we are driving. Also for 3 to 4 weeks we were living in my car, so she adapted really quickly to the car after that. Honey is still a little shy jumping in, but once in or knowing she is going bye bye...she is off and ready to ride. Maybe try sitting in the car for a few minutes a day and let him relax, than keep increasing the time. Just being persistant helped Honey. You also might want to talk with your Vet and let them know, they have different drugs they can prescribe and are safe to use to help with anxious dogs in a car. Hope this helps some...Denise HannahNHoney
Thanks, I will talk with my Vet soon and see what he suggests. It's been a year, I was hoping he would be used to it by now. Maybe lying down on the seat is his way of relaxing. I think we need to go for a longer drive and see how he reacts.
My dog Steve is usually pretty relaxed in the car but we were worried because last summer we drove cross country from Florida to Colorado. When we talked to the vet he suggested giving him Benadryl on the trip to help keep him calm. It worked really well with no side effects and he slept comfortably for most of the trip. I think talking to your vet to see what they would suggest is a good idea.
That's funny because our Morgan does not like to get in the vehicle either! Maddie will just jump right in, but you have to actually pick Morgan up and put her in the vehicle. She is a little better about getting into my car now, but you have to make her get into my husband's Suburban. We would put them both all the way in the back, but now, she will climb over the seat and will sit in the rear passenger seat and stare at us the whole time. If we have the barrier thing up to keep them back in the back, she will not lie down like Maddie does, but will just sit there and stare towards the front the entire time we are travelling. For a while, she would throw up after the first few minutes of moving, but we started giving her Ginger snaps before we leave and she seems to be a little bit better about that now. Very strange....must be the name!
Maybe so....thanks. What kind of Ginger snaps do you give her?
We just get the Food Lion (grocery store chain) brand. They are the cheapest and seem to work just as well as the high dollar ones do.
Cali has to be coaxed into either my husbands truck or even my car. She gets excited if we tell her we are going bye-bye, but she gets to the vehicle and it takes some coaxing. Once she is in, she loves it. She used to just lay down but now she has to be looking out the window and seeing the world around her. She got sick in my car once (yuck!!) and I just think it had a lot to do with my driving as I took a sharp turn right before she got sick. She has been fine with it every other time.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service