DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello!  I'm going to be bringing home a new goldendoodle puppy in 2 months and am trying to decide what size crate to buy.  We're still not positive whether we'll be getting a boy or girl.  The puppy will be standard sized.  Is 48 in a good size or would a 42 in be big enough?   Thanks so much for your input!

Christine

Views: 16993

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't remember for sure but I think mine for Sophie was 36 and was plenty big enough. She turned out to be 42lbs, but I think if she was going to be bigger than 55 or 60 lbs I'd have gone a size up. I think 48 is huge. Sophie was supposed to be a 60lb dog according to the breeder and she had recommended the 42. You should actually ask your breeder what she recommends based on how big she predicts the dog will grow (how big are the parents?).

Congratulations on your puppy and good luck!

I would go with 42" - that is what Peri's breeder recommends for standards.

I think mine are 42" at least. If you are going to crate your dog as an adult you want plenty of room. Calla weighs 63 pounds and she can practically do somersaults in her crate : )

awe, somersaults in her pink crate. :)

Get one of the crates with the dividers so that you can keep it small at first and expand as she/he grows.

I  have two standards. Kona outgrew the crate before he was a year old. He weighs 90 pounds. Our 70 pound doodle loves the crate and still sleeps in it at a year and a half. I thought it was completely ginormous when we got it, then my big boy just kept growing. He is an English Goldendoodle but his mother was a very tall poodle. Your dog can enjoy a too large crate, but if it gets too small you are outta luck. 

I bought a metal crate with divider but never had to actually use the divider. I'm pretty sure lolas is 42. If you search on eBay you can get a great price. I had to esnipe it though. I think I paid $50 with free shipping. It also came with a carrying case :)

Nice deal!

Well, We started out with a medium and we have minis! We ended up selling the first on craigslist and got two 42" with the dividers just because when they lay in there and get comfy they can really stretch out the whole length of the crate. It just made us feel better after they were potty/crate trained that they were comfortable! Getting a bigger one will save you from upgrading later, if you have the room.

I'd get the largest you can fit and use a divider while you are potty training.  It will look huge in the beginning but they grow like weeds and the crate becomes a den for them.  We have a cover over ours and Riley happily goes into it during the day with or without the door closed.  We asked the breeder to get him used to the crate before we brought him home at nine weeks and that was very helpful.

My 85-90 lb Rosco who is 27.5" tall has the 48.  But it's now used by my smaller 50 lb dog.

Cooper is a standard labradoodle, she is 27 inches tall to her shoulders (34 or 35 inches to the top of her head - roughly she wont stop wiggling)

Her crate is 30 inches tall, 29 wide and 42 long - this was the size recommended by our breeder, here on DK

She has space to lay down, sit, turn around, and stretch out. She has to hold her head down a little when she walks into it (She usually holds her head high)

My inlaws ore hopefully buying this crate off us for their dog who needs a bigger crate (she is about 24 inches tall to her shoulders and carries her head lower than Cooper, and is about 75lbs (not a doodle). We want to buy a crate with a side door as well as the end door. We may get the same size, or one a little bigger, we arent sure you

When you say 42 - do you mean long or tall?

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service