DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Sudden separation anxiety. This really happen overnight and I am beyond devastated?

My 9 month old Goldendoodle is barking like a mad man. Nonstop neighbors are leaving me notes and they are very angry about the noise disturbance. This is my worst nightmare, so so sad!

I love my dog and try to give him a lot of love and affection.  I am not sure if I caused this.  Did I spoil him rotten? 

It just started Tuesday, March 5 when he was sneezing. No more sneezing. But did the sneezing trigger something worse? He is still barking. We never had this problem. We have the same routine no changes. Am walk, lunch time walk, afternoon walk at least 3hrs per day.. He is crate trained and cooperates with the daily routine. But this week has been a nightmare for us both:( He is barking before I get up in the morning and when I leave to work and on my lunch time for at least 2 hours straight each time. He starts with a growl for awhile then the loudest bark possible for a long time. I am so sad...what triggered this? How do I reverse it:(

Tuesday-Saturday

5:20-5:35AM Outside to relieve himself

Laydown near mom on leash out of crate

6:00AM-7:00AM  Outside for walk and play

7AM Eat

7:30AM Crate

12PM-12:45PM walk and eat

1PM -5PM crate

5PM-7PM Walk and Play

7PM-8:30PM hangout with family  

Sunday-Monday-  Flexible Schedule All day with mom (some crate time for naps)

Doggie Day Care 2times per month 4 hours at PetSmart

Views: 1414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I work at the office which is only one block away from my. Apartment. 600 units. I am very busy and I am always addressing noise disturbance issues. Now the noise is coming from my apartment.

I know 9 months old is kinda young, but have you considered either leaving him in a safe room or spot when you're gone instead of in the crate? Charlie let me know a week or so ago by nearly clawing a hole in his crate and flipping it over when he was in it that he was DONE with it--and this is a guy that has never spent more than 5 daytime hours in his crate per day. As I posted in another thread recently, he's been doing fine just being left in a hallway and the laundry room while I'm out. Of course, you need to decide when it's best for your dog, what's safe, and what he can handle. Some dogs are fine in their crates forever!

Also, at 9 months old, you have a pretty regimented schedule. I started giving Charlie a little more freedom, and it's opened up doors for both of us- for instance, he sleeps in bed, is better able to regulate his energy levels-- this comes with age too, and I guess just seems more balanced. Sometimes he does get a little rowdy or naughty, and I do leash him up. It instantly reminds him that he needs to change his behavior.

You might also want to consider day care once or twice a week if you are gone all day.

I made a few phone calls today. To my local petsmart and vet. I spoke to a trainer that offered to do a free evaluation tomorrow to determine if it seperation anxiety or bored or bratty. My vet will do a physical exam and she said give me some options. She mentioned something that gets plugged into wal and spray a calming spray maybe fragrance? So hopefully I will get some answers/options. Daycare is an option. I wonder once I start daycare am I committing to do that forever, will that start another habit he will grow to expect or hell breaks loose.

You may grow to like day care too... I know I treasure an entire day of work at my desk without worrying about if I am reaching Charlie's limit of being home alone. I also like going to the grocery store, mowing the lawn (Charlie's not so sure about that task), and generally consider the time between when I leave work and have to pick him up "my time."

I'm so glad you were able to make some contacts today that help you feel you are on the way to figuring out an answer for you sweet pup. Best of luck. Please keep us updated.

I'm so glad you took this step.  I think it's a great idea to first have the vet do an exam to be sure there's nothing physically wrong.  Then I would meet with the trainer to gain input.  If this is a serious enough problem you may want to consider an ecollar, but you'd need to work with the trainer on that. 

This may be a dumb question, but are you sure he is barking and not coughing or gasping?  Since you said he was sneezing I just wondered if he has kennel cough or another illness.

He makes a mouning, whimpering sound for about 15-30 min then lets out a super loud continous bark. I take brakes and cruise by my apartment on golf cart and I hear him bark all day.
Its so strange this is happening to me. When my residents have issues with their dogs I am so compassionate. I try to offer advice or help find solutions and try to convince neighbors to be patient as the owner works to resolve the issue. I have honestly offered to walk my neighbors dogs just to provide additional exercise. One lady didn't have transportation and I offered her a ride to obedience training or dog park. I love pets and people and i always try to help. I hope I have good karma stored up somewhere:(!
Now I know I have to stay calm or I run the risk of causing my pup more anxiety. I am all worked up, we all might need anxiety meds by the end of this week. I better go to bed and say a little prayer. Thanks DK friends! I am already blessed by the support I get here;)
Hi...

My Emily never really liked her crate. She did not complaint, but it was clear to me that she mostly endured it. From 6 months old I start leaving her out of crate and she never gave me a problem. She loves laying under the table. Did you try leaving him free around the house?

Another thought...when I leave my dogs home alone, I always turn a TV on for them for the noise. I also used to used a fan to mute outside noises.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service