DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Don't anyone panic about Fudge and Vern being exercised to death. With the nicer weather, I have started riding my bike on the rail trail. I need the exercise! Today, I was on the trail and a guy rode by with his dog on a leash running beside him. It is about 75 degrees here and the dog was running along at a good clip next to the rider. I went about 5 miles and turned around and on the way back I see the guy again heading back in my direction. He had slowed considerably, but the poor dog looked like me if I had run that far....tongue hanging out, lagging a little behind. It made me feel bad. Maybe the dog likes to run...I don't know, but I hate to run, so my opinion may be clouded. Personally, I would never hook Vern or Fudge up to my bike and just start going until I felt like stopping.  The other reason I would not do it because I would not liked to be dragged to my death by two dogs chasing squirrels.

How can a dog tell you when it has had enough? I know we have lots of runners and riders on DK and really am interested in hearing other people's opinions on this matter. What worries me the most is inexperienced people getting out there and overdoing it with their dogs. I don't know...it just bothered me today!

Views: 135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Darwin tells us he's had enough by plopping down for a nap in the midst of whatever we are doing. Fetch, walking, etc. It doesn't take a whole lot to tire him. He's not going to win the Olympics anytime soon...
haha!!!
I hate to see this too! I've been thinking about riding my bike (thinking) and I was looking at the dog trailers like they have for kids but they have safety leash attachments and water holders etc. Myla gets so tired on a warm day because of all her hair. She lets out this big sigh or moan not sure what it is and we head for home.
With this nice weather finally rolling in, I've been wondering the same thing. We're lucky Lola's been named a "Diva" by none other than our own vet (haha!).....she'll come to a full-stop when she's tired. We'll find a shady tree and lay down for a bit, and then I'll usually head home from there. I don't expect to ever have a good run with her (especially in the warm weather), so I'll usually drop her off at home and continue running on my own. I'd hate for her to get dehydrated or to injure herself. I believe this type of thing should be discussed during puppy training, so people know what to expect.
Coco's max in 3 miles. She stops and rests in the shade during those walks and I have sat for 10 minutes with her and watched cars pass by!! 

Luna runs with my fiance sometimes, but it's only very short 10-15 minute runs with 2-3 breaks along the way.

Most of the time a nice 20-30 minute walk (no idea about the distance) with plenty of breaks is usually enough for her if she's on-leash.  Off-leash she plays at the dog park and with her best buddy for longer periods of time - but there are lots of natural breaks.

I think the issue is that a lot of people exercise their dogs for long distances without breaks.  As someone else mentioned - dogs aren't really built for distance without rest.  When we got Luna our vet said she was all for having a healthy dog, so exercise but if she starts getting tired stop right away and let her rest.  Otherwise it could result in joint/bone issues later in life.

This sounds like great advice.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service