DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My puppy just turned 7 weeks old yesterday.  Everyone thinks he's a golden retriever, and we're a little afraid he will look like one when he is older instead of a goldendoodle.  His mom is 3/4 poodle and 1/4 golden retriever, and his dad is full blooded golden retriever.  Is there a possibility that he will always look like a golden retriever? I know that it's a little too soon to tell because he just has puppy fur.  When do you think he will start (or if at all) to get wavy or curly fur? 

Thanks for all of your replies. I am brand new to the site, and I am really happy that I found it!

Rachel 

Views: 2417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He already looks a little doodlely....I think you should join the group "where's the poodle in my doodle" they have more experience with this.

Glad you are enjoying the site.

Thank you! I found and joined the group.
Welcome to DK! You will find a wealth of info on here. I'm not an expert on genetics/breeding, but it sounds like he has a lot of Golden Retriever in him. Usually a Goldendoodle would be bred to a Poodle. No matter how "Doodly" he ends up looking, he sure is a cutie pie with an absolutely adorable face!
Thank you! We will love him no matter what he turns out to look like!
Achilles looked more like a retriever when we first brought him home. He is still very young. He is beautiful.
Thanks you! I took a peek at some of your photos. Achilles is a cutie!
It's entirely possible for him to look like a golden retriever.  Typically golden retrievers are crossed with poodles to make first generation goldendoodles.  It's rare that any breeders purposely make doodles that are LESS than 1/2 poodle (by parentage), which your little cute pup is.  So the fact that the dad (the retriever) was crossed with not-quite-a-poodle but instead a dog with some retriever genes...there's more likelihood of some or many pups not being terribly "Doodley".   But you won't know for a few months what he'll turn out to be.
Thanks for the response! I'm sure that time will tell. We'll just enjoy him as a fluffy puppy for now!

Hi Rachel...

It will take a while to see if he will get more Doodley...but one thing is for sure...

He is an Adorable Doodle!!

I just love the expression on his beautiful face...so happy and gentle...

Thanks for the response! I took a look at some of Sasha's photos. She's adorable!

He is so cute!:) This is kind of what Huff looked like at that age and we wondered if he would ever become doodley but look at him now... This is him as a puppy at 8 weeks, the night we got him home...

I think your doodle will look like a doodle. Huff started looking more doodley at about 6 months. From 4- 6 months he looked pretty scruffy, skinny, and scragly. I think most puppies have their ugly stage though. haha:)

I don't remember if I ever saw Huff's puppy pictures, but it sure is hard to imagine him changing this much. He is just beautiful though! Glad he's feeling better too.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service