DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My puppy just turned 7 weeks old yesterday.  Everyone thinks he's a golden retriever, and we're a little afraid he will look like one when he is older instead of a goldendoodle.  His mom is 3/4 poodle and 1/4 golden retriever, and his dad is full blooded golden retriever.  Is there a possibility that he will always look like a golden retriever? I know that it's a little too soon to tell because he just has puppy fur.  When do you think he will start (or if at all) to get wavy or curly fur? 

Thanks for all of your replies. I am brand new to the site, and I am really happy that I found it!

Rachel 

Views: 2417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is possible that he will look like a golden.  Luna is 1/2 golden and 1/2 mini poodle and looks like a knee-height golden retriever.In fact - your puppy looks almost identical Luna's brother Oscar, but we haven't seen him since he was about 4 months so I have no idea if he "doodled out".  Don't worry - as others have said - MOST doodles will land up with the "shaggy" look, it's only a very small percentage (I've heard 5%) that land up looking like retrievers.  Even if he does land up looking retrieverish, he will be adorable :)

The difference I see in your pup is some of his hairs poke out towards his eyes, making the stereotypical "V" shape at the bridge of the nose that you see in most doodles.  He will probably be shaggy.

Here is Luna at 7 weeks and 9 weeks.  She had little curls on her ears and neck and still has them there.

Luna at 10 months.  Almost no curl on the body but a little wavy.  Almost no "shagginess", her coat lays flat.

Luna's pictures always make me smile - she is so happy and pretty looking!
Thanks!  She is a very happy good-natured little pup.
Luna looks like a sweetie. Thanks for the pictures!
Doodley or not, your dog is ADORABLE!
Thank you, your dog is very cute as well = )
WOW! Thank you for all of the wonderful responses!

These pictures are Murphy at 7 weeks and at 5 mos.

He really looks doodlely  Look at that curl on his ears. 

Oh Murphy, you are too cute at any age!
Sandy, Lots of our doodles lightened from apricot to cream. Owen still has apricot in him but he is only 9 months.
My dogs didn't lighten as early as some others here on DK. Our black doodle began to get silver in his coat after he was 2. He is four and it is still getting more silver but that sounds unusual from what I have read here. Owen has patches of white, cream and apricot. It know that sounds like a parti-color but I kind of doubt he is parti. Our golden retrievers had lighter color in certain areas too, so I think it is that. The coat change can start around 7 or 8 months I think. We had Kona clipped short around 6 months so I never really noticed his coat change. Owen hasn't started to mat yet at 9 1/2 months.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service