DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I was just thinking about how breeders get their dogs.Not me but a lot of people especially pure bred breeders are against mixed breeds unless they are from a rescue then its okay to adopt one.So if breeders are only looking for the betterment of their purebred dogs and to only improve that particular breed.Why would they sell a breeding dog to a breeder that breeds mixed breeds? No reputable breeder of a pure bred dog that cares about their breed and improving upon that breed would ever sell breeding stock to a breeder that breeds mixed breeds.It makes sense to me.So where are these premium  labradoodle  breeders and goldendoodle breeders getting their quality stock from.Once again im confused.What am i missing here?Please keep an open mind these are not my opinions and is not a stab at the awesome LD and GD.

Views: 3984

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beautiful quote Karen!

I loved the Title quote - it is a written memorial to be sure.  I guess I am from the camp that does not need material things to know if something is exceptional, it is in my heart.

You are correct about my blanket statement, it was wrong.  I wrote still angered by the Animal Planet show that aired about the Bull Mastiff breeding to his daughter.  It is stuff like this that boils my blood.  However, the inbreeding coefficients didn't 'just occur' they were intentionally planned just like this Mastiff mating and that is just plain wrong and the reason why I love the hybrids. 

There is a poodle breeder in my area who produced the standard poodle with the lowest inbreeding coefficient on record. Here is his page in the Poodle Museum website:

http://www.hoflin.com/online/poodlemuseum/Terrifick%20Silbar%20Topas

Please note that Silbar also had a UD and CDX obedience titles.

This breeder is still breeding, but she breeds very few litters, less than one per year.

Her main interests are agility and obedience work. She also runs a grooming and boarding facility and does not depend on selling puppies to earn a living. She does not sell her breeding dogs when they get too old to breed. They are truly her lifetime companions.

There are some very good purebred breeders out there.

I think that is absolutely true. No need to paint all breeders with the same brush so to speak. But I do feel sad about the breeds that have been pushed too far in eugenics and produced dogs with health problems.

There's something to be taken away from all of this. Yes, a title for obedience or something like that is a tribute to dog and owner. It takes lots of hard work and it is always nice to be recognized.

My sister recently asked me if I would meet her in Florida to visit our parents' graves. I told her I wouldn't because they aren't there but they reside in my memories and I think of them often. To me that is what is important and I feel the same way about my dogs. My memorial to them, should I outlive them, would be in my memories of how special they were to me. So in this sense I agree with Joyce.

I admire the titles not so much because of the memorial aspect, or the recognition, but because of the time, commitment, and dedication that the owner has put into working with the dog, spending time with the dog, etc.  I think it speaks volumes about the dog and the owner.  

This is really inspiring!

Well there is a test for a companion dog.  It is the Novice Obedience Test (CD  Companion Dog) and the Open Obedience Test (CDX Companion Dog Excellent).   These Obedience tests are an excellent way to independently verify that a breeding dog has intelligence, trainability, focus, and the stable temperament that is so desirable in a good companion dog.  

I've found that over the years that breeders of various dogs (fill in purebred or hybrid of choice here) are quick to say that their dogs have wonderful temperaments.  It seems that it is easy to say but harder to verify.  For me the proof of the pudding is always in the eating.  This is why I think titles on dogs are important.  It is not about NEEDING a trophy.  It is about proving that my dogs are worth putting back into the gene pool.

I think that having puppy screening that some breeders suggest in picking the puppy for the people may be of more help when it gets to the stage of people wanting to purchase a pup from a breeder who does all the health testing and warranties their dogs. If it is possible to read the personality of a puppy prior to purchase from good breeders that would be great info to use too. But I do not like the idea of someone picking my puppy out of a litter for me, unless they can explain how it is done.

You rock, Joyce!

yea Joyce! I loved your interventions. Thanks!

Great post, Joyce.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service