DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Amos is 4.5 years old and this is the first year he has started shedding profusely. I am wondering if anyone else has dealt with this. I also switched his food to the Kirkland Signature beef and think that might be a contributor too. Anyone have any insights?

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Food really doesn't have much to do with shedding, but Omega 3 fatty acids and the Omega 6:3 ratio do play a role in the health and condition of the skin and coat, and the Kirkland food most likely doesn't rate very high in either case. 

JD is the first dog I've ever had who sheds, and he's been a heavy shedder pretty much since I got him at 14 months old. Not much you can do about it. 

It seems a little strange that a dog who has not been a shedder and then starts shedding at 4.5 yrs and you just changed foods is now shedding. What were you feeding before switching to Kirkland and why did you switch.  If there were no problems I would probably switch back to see if in fact that is the difference.  Good Luck.  Ben - I just noticed Karen replied below and she is the Food Guru on our site so I would double check on the Omegas too. 

Natures Recipe or Natural Choice. They all seem to be rated about the same. Amos stops eating if i don't switch his food up. I'm just wondering if anyone has seem seasonal shedding develop later. He's always shed a little but not like this.

I don't know what ratings you're referring to, but we have a very large, very active Food Group here with a list of recommended food brands, and none of the ones you've mentioned are on our list. I assure you that all dog foods are not "about the same", and the ones we recommend are researched for the content and the sourcing of their ingredients, as well as the nutritional value. You can certainly switch up his food, but I'd strongly suggest you use better quality formulas with better Omega 3 fatty acid content; that's especially important for dogs with skin or coat issues. 

Here's a link to our list: http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/thefoodgroup/forum/topics/recomme...

Shedding all over his body or just from specific areas? There are several (hormonal) medical conditions that can cause sudden onset shedding, but they often cause shedding in distinct patterns.

I was just thinking that Stella. I think I would research that before foods. Also, you can add Omega 3's to dogs diet, no matter the food type.  

Yep, one of my doodles has seasonal alopecia - his hair falls out in the winter, but it falls out in a very distinct pattern. We tested and ruled out thyroid, addisons, cushings etc etc before he was finally diagnosed.

I agree, Sue.

Ben, if the shedding is really different from ever before, I would have a full thyroid panel done as the shedding and even some grumpiness can be symptons of a thyroid problem.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service