DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'm hoping that I can get some opinions from experienced doodle owners. I thought I'd researched pretty thoroughly when I chose the goldendoodle breed - I wanted a friendly, happy dog who would be good with my 5 year old. I chose a Northern California breeder who I found a recommendation for on this site. Shortly before our puppy choosing day, I read threads by people who said this is an extremely high energy, stubborn, hard to train breed. It really scared me. We went down and chose a puppy yesterday - he's a mini, although he's big and will probably get to 55 pounds the breeder said. I only had an hour to choose and was very confused, and scared after seeing all these negative reviews of the breed and especially minis, and we chose the male who the breeder said was more boisterous than his sister but not a wild child. Anyway, I know puppies are hard, but we contiually need to keep him from jumping up and biting and humping and destroying things and barking, and while I'm fine going through this with a puppy, I'm now questioning my choice to get this breed as I don't want to deal with a too high energy, stubborn dog who's hard to train for the next 15 years and am having thoughts about returning him before we get in too deep. I'm signed up for puppy training in a month (he's 10 weeks old) and contacted a trainer today about private training so I can get started right away, but I guess what I'm wanting to hear is whether there are people out there who regret getting this breed of dog after they've matured past puppyhood. I know this isn't the most likely forum to get those kinds of views, but thought I'd ask anyway. Or I'd love to hear from others who were concerned about this negative reputation but stuck it out to end up with a sweet, manageable dog in adulthood. Also, how long before things calmed down with your puppy? Thanks for any advice!

Views: 4027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am a bit confused. You wrote in October that you were getting a puppy in December. What happened to that puppy? And a mini is not 55 pounds, that is more like a small standard. Anyway this puppy is 10 weeks old and behaving like a puppy. If you want a sweet, manageable dog you have to work on training this puppy at home even though you have trainers involved. We have tons of information on this site on crate training, potty training, tethering and just about everything. I have Labradoodles but golden doodles can be equally better. It takes months of work at the very least. If you are so ambivalent maybe you should return the puppy.

I you already have doubts, perhaps you should not be getting this puppy. I've got two goldendoodles. One was easy, the other one more challenging. I'm not sure where you read that they are hard to train. When I did my research, I learned that high energy, stubborn and hard to train puppies come from backyard breeders that don't do any health and temperament testing. In my opinion, doodles are extremely smart, which also means you will need to keep your puppy occupied and mentally challenged. Training is a must, as it is with ANY dog.  Also, I don't understand how a mini can be 55 lbs, but that's fine. I love big dogs. We had an hour to choose as well and I would not have it any other way. Every puppy will be a hard work, it's just up to you how much energy and time you spend training the puppy so that he turns into the wonderful family companion. Good luck.

Hi Elizabeth,

We received our 10 month old (as of 3/8/13) Labradoodle, Traz, when he was 4 months old.  We started his training the week after we got him.  He has completed the Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced Puppy Classes.  He has also passed his Canine Good Citizen's (CGC) test and will receive a certificate from the American Kennel Club.  Our hopes are for Traz to become a social therapy dog when he is a little bit older.  He is also part of a service dog breeding program.  We have put a lot of time and effort into Traz, but this does not mean that he does not have his puppy moments.  You will probably hear from other, more experienced doodle owners on this site, that training, training and more training is the way to teach your puppy good manners and behaviors.  And the most important piece of information that I have taken from this site is "a tired dog is a happy dog".  Exercise is extremely important because when Traz gets bored, he gets into mischief.

As to your Goldendoodle question, I cannot response other than to say that Traz has a Goldendoodle friend, Teddy, that is same age.  The two boys LOVE each other and act like brothers.  We have had numerous discussions with his owner and her experiences have been the same as ours.  So, I guess what I am saying is I don't think Labradoodle or Goldendoodle makes a difference.  Traz and Teddy have the same type of disposition, both loving and sweet boys.  Dogs can also take on the temperament or disposition of their owners.  I think that Traz will settle down even more as he gets older and we will be rewarded for all the love and training we are/have and will put into him.

Good luck with your decision on your puppy :-)

Elizabeth, Sadly there has been so much hype from breeders about doodles being the perfect dog that expectations for these babies have become totally unrealistic. There are few naturally born 'good' dogs and with a puppy you get back what you put in. I don't think it's a breed thing as much as a puppy thing and I'm not sure another breed would be any different. If  don't have the time to invest in training a puppy maybe now is not the best time to get one. When I say training I don't necessarily mean with a trainer, there is a ton of training you can do on your own. My doodle was a typical puppy with his jumping and nipping. It took a lot of time and consistency to train him to stop. Dogs are also known for ingesting not food items and you have to be vigilant at all times that he doesn't ingest some thing that could seriously harm him. They do seem to have a penchant for socks and undies. A tired puppy is a happy, less likely to get in trouble puppy.

The question is not if the puppy will be good with your child but more will your child  be good with the puppy. Children have a tendency to be very boisterous in their play which in turn can get a puppy very wound up and the puppy sees them as a playmate rather than someone who has to be obeyed. You also have to train your child at the same time that you train the puppy.

If you haven't already done so, join the Puppy Madness group, there is a ton of good info and lots of moral support there for you

A crate is your best friend when a puppy is young and when you can't keep an eye on him at all times it is safer for him to be crated. Crating also works well when the puppy is too hyper and needs some time to calm down. 

I did not have young children when Quincy was a puppy and that made things much easier. Puppies are very demanding of your time and for the first few months it is akin to having a newborn. If you aren't 100% committed to this puppy maybe returning him would be the best thing for all. 

I guess the short answer to your question is yes, you can have a sweet manageable dog but it takes lots of work and lots of patience. Good luck with whatever you decide and there is lots of support here for you if you need it.

Perfect answer, Donna.

Elizabeth, I have two Labradoodles and one was easy, the other a challenge. I enrolled Mr. Challenging in three levels of obedience training, got his Canine Good Citizen and then Theraoy dog certification. He turned into a wonderful guy. I think around 18 months he seemed to remember all the training and started acting like a reliably good boy. I don't have Goldendoodles so I can't speak to your concerns about the breed but I can say that an energetic puppy needs lots of daily time with you and formal training. I agree that a tired dog is a good dog. I walked mine daily and and took him places where he could run like the wind. I hope you can find the patience and commitment to train your puppy. It's isn't a matter of just of just living through it, a lot of time and energy goes into a well behaved dog. My guess is that your pup will be fine with training and maturity. Good luck to you.

All I can tell you is that every year, hundreds of adult doodles are relinquished to rescue groups and shelters because they require time, exercise, training, and attention than the owners are able or willing to provide. That's not because they are particularly stubborn or difficult to train, but they do need the training, the exercise, the attention, on a daily basis, and that doesn't end when they are a year old or two years old. It's an ongoing project, just like children are.  Even my 8 year old labradoodle needs a little refreshing on some of his commands from time to time, and two good walks a day, and some ball-playing, or he is definitely not happy. So if you feel that you cannot commit to giving this puppy hwatever he needs for the rest of his life, whatever that takes, it would be better for him to be rehomed now than to lose his home in two or three years.

Some doodles are higher energy than others. Goldendoodles are not a breed, BTW, they are a mix. I know that you read that they have "the temperament of the Golden with the intelligence and hair of the Poodle" on the breeder's websites, but common sense tells us that they can just as easily get the temperament of the Poodle with the intelligence of the Golden, or any combination of the traits from both breeds.  Miniature and toy poodles are usually not as calm and easy going as Standards. A lot depends on the temperament of the parents.  

But the bottom line is that you get out of any dog what you put into him. He is not ever going to turn into a perfect happy manageable dog on his own.

I don't think it is the breed that makes the personality. Just as there are marshmallow pitbulls, as nervous and unfriendly doodles. I believe some of the personalities are hardwired and very difficult to overcome despite of extensive training. It is just who that dog is to certain extent. Just like us human, not all dogs are well behaved, calm, friendly and easy to train. Some are and some are not. If you would like a dog, that you can already can see the temperment and personality, may be an older dog will be better for the situation. I also dont think the dog that is going to e 55lb s a mini. My Carlie is standard size and she is 42 lb ( a bit on the smaller side)

I too am confused...are you saying that specifically Goldendoodles are high energy, stubborn and hard to train?  Nothing said about Labradoodles or ALDs?  I find that really hard to believe...especially if you were getting your misinformation from our DK group.  I have a standard F1 Goldendoodle who is now almost 6 years old.  I researched over and over between all the breeds and for my own personal reasons, chose the Goldendoodle and I have never once looked back thinking otherwise.  She has been the smartest dog I have ever encountered, very easy to train, loving, gentle and as sweet as they come.  The the high energy of course is there...as with any dog.  You just need to stick to your training and discipline (as with any dog) and give them their boundaries.  Any dog can be a holy terror if you don't work with them and let them know what is and is not acceptable.  They are just like children...rules, boundaries and limitations.  As a puppy Gracie Doodle ate one cell phone and two TV remotes, stole a turkey (6 months) off the counter and that was it.  It was our fault because we left these things within her reach and alone in the kitchen.  Just like little kids, you remove the temptations until they are older and understand the limitations and boundaries.  Gracie has never been destructive, stubborn or hard to train.  Gracie is 73 lbs and very tall.  She is a gentle giant and we treat her like we would any other person in our home.  We respect her and she respects us.

I really don't like what I am hearing you say.  It is as if you have already given up on this poor puppy.  Yes, 10 weeks to 6 months are or can be pure hell.  The teeth and claws are really sharp.  They love to nip (you will call it biting), chase, attack, go crazy and you think it will never end.  This is when you should already be in firm training mode.  I don't think you have done your homework on what to do when you bring a puppy home nor reading about training.  You should have done all that long before you walked in the door with this new puppy.  What ever you do, never ever raise a hand to him!!!  You only want them to view your hand with love and guidance.  I really am worried about you and how you are going to treat him.  You made up your mind before you even brought him home that he was going to be the wrong dog for you and you have already cast in stone bad behavior and all the things you mentioned.  Sounds like the poor guy doesn't stand a chance with you!!!  Sorry if this sounds harsh or critical but from what I am reading, you sound like you don't even want to put in the time, frustrations and love to make this little guy a perfect fit for your family.

I don't think goldendoodles are any harder to train than other energetic breeds.  I also wouldn't say they are more stubborn than other breeds.  However, they are smart and this simply means that you have to commit to training and consistency.  No different than the amount of training you've had to put into your 5 year old so that he doesn't throw tantrums and have control of the household.  The difference is that with a dog you have to spend specific 'training time' daily and progress through it.  From puppy to beginner's obedience to intermediate to advanced.  You can't just take a  puppy class and call it good.  You need to go through a series of classes.  Some classes and trainers are better than others.  The key is that you methodically follow instructions from class or your private trainer and daily work with your dog in a planned and consistent way.  You're not gonna get much training accomplished with a young pup.  And most pups learn how to sit, lay down, stay on command relatively quickly.  But in order for that obedience to stick and be reliable it takes continued work. 

And it takes practice not just in your home, but out in the real world (park, downtown, pet store, etc).  Unless you plan to never leave your house with your dog, you've got to train in places you're likely to go with your dog and around the types of things your dog will encounter (other dogs, cats, birds, blowing leaves, people, etc).  It's not that "hard" but it takes time (a little bit at first with a young pup with a short attention span and longer periods as puppy gets older).  Getting a puppy or a dog is like starting a new hobby that gives you extra work every day.

Most pups quit the whole nipping/biting around 4-5 months of age...they often outgrow it.  But not always...some take more work to help them quit.  Humping usually goes away about the same time or with neutering.   Destroying things varies.  Some pups just really enjoy tearing things up so it will take prevention on your end.  Don't let puppy wander the house unsupervised.  We can give specific advice for some of these things, like destroying things, but it's hard to give advice for everything in one thread.  IF you are struggling with one particular thing, post about that separately. 

A high energy dog might need more exercise than a low energy dog, but if you are willing to invest time in serious training...then that training will be supremely valuable because a well trained dog can be put to work in the house (given obedience commands like STAY) to keep them out of trouble. 

Elizabeth, You have gotten a lot of good advice in this post. All I have to add is that no matter the breed or mix, a puppy is a puppy and needs consistent training, exercise (a lot of exercise), good food, and a loving environment. The effort and care you put in is what counts.  And, from personally knowing goldendoodles and their owners they are wonderful dogs.  Good luck with your pup. 

I am not sure how to reply - I can't tell if you just have a little bit of cold feet or are truly questioning your idea of a puppy.

There are no magic breeds.  A goldendoodle has an excellent chance of being a great family dog, as do most breeds of dogs.  Nor is there a magic age after which the dog will always be wonderful.  Like children there will good days and not so good days.  Good ages and not so good ages.

Have you considered adopting an older dog from someone who can no longer keep him or her for any number of very good reasons?  A 3- 6 year old dog will be more of a known quantity and still a great companion for your family.  Still - no guarantees. 

Whatever you decide, I wish you well, and stay on this site.  There is a wealth of experience, information, and compassion.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service