DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Okay, now I think I have gone over the edge. I am needing some serious therapy! In this economy, I am considering leaving a job so that I can be home with my doods.

Well, that's not the whole story. The job is beyond stressful, I have an hour drive in traffic to and from work everyday. Yes, 2 hours a day in traffic. It's a government job with so many responsibilties that I can't be away from it for more than a day without something needing attention. I have to travel around the state for 1-2 nights at a time and often. DH is retired and wants to go off for the summer and travel in our little toy hauler trailer, I have my only grandson (18 months)moving from Florida to be here in Az with son and DIL in March and they could use some grandma babysitting, and I have sorely neglected my own physical health due to this job. But having said all that, I think missing my doodles so much just puts the last straw on the poor camels back.

Could we afford it? Let's just say we wouldn't starve and the dogs would still get Fromm dog food.

SO what's a doodle mom to do? Any words of wisdom DK'ers?

UPDATE:

Well, with much consideration and re-reading all of your posts and talking to DH and mom and kids, I handed in my resignation yesterday. I will be leaving Feb 18th and it appears it will be considered "Mission Critical" by the Bureau and they will try to fill my position ASAP.  On top of that my son is bringing his family to Arizona a month earlier, which gives me just 3 weeks to get ready for them to move in for a few months and toddler proof my house.  I started the Adventure Bootcamp on Tues and now workout 4 mornings a week and a girlfriend invited me to join her stroller exercise club so I can take my grandson with me too!  I have quilts lined up in my head that I plan to do and some for DK as well !

So, I want to thank everyone for helping me to make a very important decision and I can't tell you how happy you have made Murphy, Bella, DH and ME!!!! Thank you again. You are all the best!

Views: 112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh yes, Canada is the envy of every mother and baby care agency in the US!!
Post partum blues and depression are so very prevalent and not addressed nearly enough. It is at least much more acknowledged than it was years ago.This would be such a needed and important, gratifying service.
So much to do and so little time. :)
Oh I would have LOVED that!  No immediate family near me, though my MIL and mom stayed with us for a bit.  It's never enough with your first child---SO much that needs doing that you can't do.
Oh yes Adina, my kids are already planning my days!!! With one grandchild and the hopes of more in the next year or two I could be very busy!
Ok I have to add my 2 cents in here.  At age 53 our company sold.  It was my "Dream" job..traveling 9 weeks a yr to NY, then Atl. and Las Vegas  etc.... Loved making new lifelong friends with my temps and my work...sometimes 72 -80 hr weeks. Imagine going to a screeching stop!  Took me a long time to stop rushing..2 yrs later (after redecorating every room in the house and cleaning!!)  I fell into my new "dream" job..I transport early childhood development kids around.  They make me belly laugh everyday..and are a joy to work with. I would actually volunteer for this job.  Its just 3 hrs a day with 2 hrs between that I go home and spend time with Wilson.  I live alone so he is pretty much  my whole world since my daughter and her husband moved out of state : (  My advise is to quit..I had the blessing of cancer 11 yrs ago..I say blessing because it made me live in the moment and to appreciate the small things.  Make more memories with your husband and kids and of course the doods.!!  ENJOY!!!!

I worked for 40 some odd years and retired three years ago and my last job was with the State of North Carolina.  Same story, huge responsibility, long hours, low pay and no support or thanks.  If you are asking for advice, I would say that you should transition into something part time first.  After three years, you get the house clean, take some trips, get a couple of doodles raised and trained, and then the days get longer.  With the amount of money some of us lost in retirement funds, there isn't a tremendous amount to live on in a time where the cost of goods and services is going up.  And, after working in a high stress, performance driven situation, it can get a bit boring.  If it weren't for Duke basketball, DK and my doodles, and Dancing with the Stars, I would loose my mind.  That looks a bit pathetic, doesn't it!  Good luck.  Have a plan, a long term plan.

PS  I used to live in Chandler and Mesa, Arizona and worked at Good Samaritan in Phoenix, and Mesa Community hospital, which I think Good Sam bought.  Small world.

Excellent advice from the other point of view, I think.

Yes, Part time would be the goal and I know I should have that in line before leaving this position. That is a big factor as my sense of needing to make money is quite a driving force. I have always told my children that when leaving one job you better have another lined up. I do have my feelers out and there is some interest but nothing yet.  I could take the chance and hope within 6 months or so something does come up. Or I could wait, but honestly, I don;t see me surviving this for 6 more weeks let alone 6 more months if that is how long it might take.

Yes, it is a small world. Wish you were still here you could join our Arizona Doodle Romps. Great new dog park on McQueen and Ocotillo just built last year.

Life is way too short-if you can do it-I say go for it-If I could afford to I would not think twice of it-it is one of my dreams!!

I packed my job in - and now I wonder how I found the time to go out to work,long walks with the dog is now a pleasure nothing is rushed as it's my time!!!!

I think what you're saying is so true. Few people understand the concept and the absolute luxury of unscheduled time. For many people it is almost frightening. And there are many people who never get that opportunity as an adult as their life situation requires that they work until they die.  But I have found that when you DO have it a world of possibilties opens up before you like never before.

I know you don't live in the U.S. but I have found that many Americans base their self worth on what they do. So if they are not "doing" and especially "earning"  they feel they have no value.

Sue, I heard a little of this in one of your posts about "needing to make money is a driving force" for you. Even though earlier you said that you would be fine financially without the money you are bringing in right now.  I think not working at all for a while would give you a great opportunity to re-evaluate some things and step away from the craziness of the working environment.  Do you want money to be what is driving you and making your decisions for you? I think that sometimes you really need to take a step back to get a fresh persepective on things.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service