DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I just had Tori to the groomer this week. We go about every 4 weeks as this seems to keep her coat almost mat free. She still does get small mats in the usual troubled areas - by her collar, her chest, occasionally on her sides. But I am not sure as to what is meant by the adult coat. I DO, now having experienced the dreaded "coat change", understand that, but I thought that this was the time that they received their adult coat, but from what I have been reading- it's not. Tori went through that severely matted stage at 14 months. She is now19 months old. She has very soft hair everywhere, but the bottom of her back - where it's more course - actually itt's been like this since she was a tiny puppy. I have some pics attached.

Views: 74

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

The coarse hair is called kemp and most doodles have some in varying amounts. The adult coat is not a lot different than the puppy coat, unlike most breeds. The differences are more subtle. That's why this coat change thing sneaks up on people. You can't really 'see' it change. The first warning sign is the beginning of matting. I don't know if you can see well enough from this picture, but father and son have the same coats, just at different stages. These are wool coats.The adult coat is curlier than the puppy coat. Both wool and fleece coats can be soft. Fleece feels cooler and slipperier and wool feels warmer and can be soft as in a fine quality wool sweater.

Thanks so much - Such a great picture!! Love their coats! I can't tell if tori has a wool or fleece coat... It almost at times looks more like the coat of a Portugese water dog's - long and kid of krimpy - a lot like your dad here - I think.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service