DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My 8 month old GD has recently started to mat. His coat is increasingly difficult to bush and combing he no longer tolerates. He has a silky coat, that before I cut was shaggy, but now looks like it is growing in curly and it is roughly 2" long. I cannot imagine trying to groom him if I let him get shaggy again since it is getting so difficult to get a brush through him, even though I love that look.
When I try to brush him with a pin brush, the backing that the pins are in alway comes apart from the brush handle, and renders itself useless. I have gotten cheap brushes, and mid range brushes and am afraid to get the CC brushes and find that they will do the same thing. And it is not in my budget to get a Les Pooches brush right now. My slicker brush does not get down to his skin. His coat is so thick it is extremely hard to get a comb through it and use the combs mainly for the de-matting.

My questions are:
Do the CC brushes come apart when brushing through very thick coats?
Can you use a slicker on very thick coats or do they just get through the surface?
Is it worth the money to get the staggered tooth CC comb? Or is it just as hard to use?
Does anyone know of a good spray-on detangler?

Thanks!

Views: 299

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sue- I’ve had better luck with the Wahl stainless steel snap on combs. I have a set of plastic combs too (Oster), but they also tend to push the hair down. The steel combs glide thru the coat and don’t push down as much. I’m not sure, but I think the steel combs work better because the comb tines are thinner/narrower. Here’s a comparison of my plastic combs to my steel combs:

1/8” attachment combs:

3/4" attachment combs:

You will still need to comb the hair up before clipping it to get a nice even cut. But the steel combs work better for me, and a lot of professional groomers swear by them. If you want to try one or two of the steel combs, before buying the whole set, you can buy them individually online. A few places like Pet Edge and Ryans Pets sell them for a few bucks each.

Another thing you can try is clipping in reverse, aka against the lay of the coat. Sometimes this will make the hair stand up better for clipping. But it will clip the hair shorter, so make sure you go with a longer comb attachment.

Does your #10 blade work fine without the comb attachments? Just want to make sure it’s a comb issue and not a blade issue too. :)
I was using a no. 15 blade with my attachments - and was having problems. I read somewhere that you need a 40 blade so I went out and bought one - it worked like a charm. (I have an Oster Golden A5 clipper) I clipped Abby with my 1/4 " attachment and the No 40 blade - scissoring her face...here is the end result...

gorgeous!
Thank you
OMG, you did a beautiful job! Boy do her and Fozzy ever look alike!
Thank you - I think so too!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service