DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

For several days I've researched articles and videos of cording a dogs coat.  There are some positive and negative conditions to doing this to a dogs coat.  I do not see anyone on here that cords the coat of an F1b.  Also known as Dreadlocks.

Positive--no more brushing. Ease in daily grooming for the dog.   A way to deal with unruly, unbrushable doodle coats.  I don't mind the time it takes to do this.  I take that much time grooming him anyway.

Negative--there is the same amount of time that goes into grooming however progress is very SLOW.  Months to Years.  The coats have a different way to be kept clean, wash, and DRY--oh my how long it takes to dry.  12 hours or more. If not, the coats smell and can mold.
It takes at least 6 months to One year to make a coat like this--most of the time it takes much longer to have a nice look.  The first  year the look is messy.

We can add a lot to the above P/N

Some owners thought it was masochist to try and brush out a coat that has a network of fibers at the base of the coat--which is what I find in Spud.  A THICK DENSE GAUZE-LIKE BASE.  Spud is miserable with the whole process. 

Spud HATES grooming.  It doesn't even work with his coat after a certain length. He hates hair/coat products that prevent matting.  The smells make him run and growl.  He will allow me to clean his ears now, but do not attempt to place a smelly conditioner on his curls.  In cording you use NO products, no scented or oily conditioners.  On article said, Dawn Soap was the best.   The other alternative is to keep him clipped.    We've done that... we are moving on for now. 

I've never liked the frizzy poodle look--he hates grooming and gets the frizzy poodle look. 

The pictures and videos are common in Europe and many there do cording for the wooley poodle coat, breeds of water dogs, Pulis and Komodors.  

Here are some videos on how to cord:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gMkydW5Qrs&feature=related

Komodor Puppies--these look like Doodles to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ig7VBYnCrg&feature=related

This is my favorite--look how beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebp7sTLd-XY

I'll let you know what happens.  He is not long enough yet.  My guess is that we are a month away. 

LET THE MATS BEGIN.   YES, I'm going to MAT MY DOG!

P.S.  Thanks to Nancy, Ned and Clancy, Nina, Phil and Harlow, and Shelly and Tori,  for their help and encouragement on my new project

Views: 2784

Replies to This Discussion

Spud looks wonderful.
I still love the look and everyone is happy! Life sounds good there!! :)
Very cool!
He looks just darling! I like it much much better than shaving.
He looks so cute and so happy too, So far a win win!!
So how did the summer go?  I have been struggling along with Harpo and do not get much support from my family.  I think Harpo is amenable enough to being corded, but my husband feels he needs to get the matts out of his coat.   It is a constant struggle.  The beach is a weekly occurance with us and he needs to at least have his legs and feet washed after every trip.  I don't know if I will ever really make it with the cording, but I haven't given up yet.
He looks awesome!

Wow, I'll be interested to hear how this goes.  Paddy, a goldendoodle, is exceptionally tightly curled.  In the winter, when we let his coat grow out, we call him Rasta-dog.  He naturally cords, but my groomer calls the cords mats.  As it is, we keep him shaved down (except for head and tail) in the summer because it's hot where we live.  Even so, it takes him forever to dry.  I don't know that cording would help his itchy skin, either.  We have a house in the country and let him run there, so it would be a nightmare, getting all the burrs and debris out of his coat.  Keep us posted on how it goes!

I love the corded white poodles, though. Beautiful!

Joanne had some great suggestions and information for me.  I'm going to continue working on it if I can get my husband to leave the brush alone.  I was also confused about cords and mats and apparently mats are the start of cords.  My big problem (besides my DH) is the beach.  We go there pretty much weekly and Harpo just loves to roll in the sand.  You can imagine the mess when we get home!  Here is a photo of my husband working on him last week (after just a walk in the park).
Joanne, is Spud still corded????

Stella, only in the winter. He had his last grooming in July and he wont get cut again until maybe... usually, February or when things get real muddy here again.  His coat the last few years is not as severe as the first time.   I just play around and last winter was the best. He certainly did not look as messy as  he did the first year. 

This is what he looked like last week. 

Spud is gorgeous, Joanne.  You make his coat look wonderful.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service