DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So I had Briggs shaved almost to the skin at the groomer since he has been so hot this summer. and he HATES it. has been sulking all weekend (was done on Friday), and today. anyone else's doodle do this after a short cut?

Views: 271

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my gosh. Me! Me! Kirby was cut down to about a half inch yesterday and she is still sulking. Sadly, she also seems uncomfortable or something... especially near her rear/tail. Wondering if this is normal as well...

yes! briggs is also uncomfortable or something on his rear, keeps stopping every two feet to sit and licking back there...

hopefully he will be better in a couple weeks when it grows back a little. we are going to keep in longer in the fall/winter, but thought he would enjoy the comfort of being cooler in august in virginia!

This happens every time I give Oscar a cut, due to sharp cut hairs poking into his skin. He bites and scratches like crazy. There's a couple things you can do to alleviate this, 1. Give the dog a bath after the groom to wash away those errant hairs, or 2. Blow dry with a high velocity dryer to blow the hairs out. Some dogs are more susceptible to this kind of skin irritation than others (my Lucy has no problem with it).

Just for future reference- their longer hair actually helps insulate them from both cold AND heat so shaving them to the skin does the opposite of helping to keep them cooler. It can make them more susceptible to things like sunburn and heat exhaustion so be careful of that. The main advantage of a shorter coat is lower maintenance requirements :)

good to know. although yesterday outside he seemed more comfortable, not panting, like he usually is. he wasn't shaved to the skin, about 1/2 inch. 

I thought we could get through the summer with Elvis' hair on the longer side but it seems to have exacerbated his allergies - I think his coat picks up a lot of pollen, etc.  But I will say, anytime we get him shaved, he loves it.  Although he is light-colored, he still gets pretty hot so I think the shorter hair keeps him more comfortable. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service