DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Rook was groomed the other day and the groomer did an awesome job - not too long, not too short, just like when we got her as a puppy! My neighbor mentioned that she saw Rook while she was being groomed, though, and that Rook had what appeared to be blue tape around her muzzle. (I'm assuming/hoping it wasn't really tape, since that would rip her fur off.) The place also mentioned to me that there were certain parts when Rook wasn't so happy, so I guess maybe that's why she got the "tape"? Whenever I brush out mats on her or anything she may put her mouth on my hand or on the brush, but she never actually bites down.

Anyway, I just came here to ask if "taping" a dog's mouth shut during grooming is a standard practice/humane thing to do, or if perhaps I need to find another place. Thanks!

Views: 596

Replies to This Discussion

Um, no, and HELL YES!!!!!!  I ask my groomer before and after each session if my doodie needs training in any area. I made sure he would be great for the groomer while using clippers months before he even knew what a groomer was. I would be ok with a regular muzzle, if needed but I BETTER be told that they put it on him. Taping would never be ok with me.

Thanks! Someone posted a link to a blue cloth muzzle - I'm hoping that's what it was.

In no way shape or form is that appropriate for anyone to do due an animal! I would go in face to face to ask her about it. It is about as bad as a teacher smacking a child for being too loud. If Rook was going to bite the groomer then tape wouldn't stop her so IMHO she must have no liked being mouthed - if that was the case. 

Find another groomer that treats her clients like they should be - with kindness and understanding! Being groomed by a stranger with all those smells and noises must be scary and a human who does this for a living should be understanding!

Thanks for the feedback!

Hmmm painters tape I never thought about that , just kidding. I have a felling it may have been a leash of some sort or grooming strap that holds thier head up straight or stray puppy mouths. If it was tape then I would say you need to look for another groomer. They may also want to get a set of blinds if they are going to tape dogs up so clients cant see them lol. taping your dogs is a no no. Now im thinking about spying on our groomer since they said sophie was a pleasure to groom but when I do it at home not so much.

I hope it was a leash/strap, too. You're right, if they were using tape it probably wouldn't be very good for business to do it out in the open where everyone can see, lol.

I don't want to comment on what the groomer may or may not of done, but I want to say this because I have no idea what went on.

Any dog that will put their teeth on you will bite.

A groomer must finish quickly  to be kind and cannot afford to take a bite because it could end their career.

This is correct in my experience. If the dog gives any indication that they may snap or bite, and that includes just a quick movement toward the groomer's hand with their mouth, even if they don't touch the skin with their teeth, an experienced groomer will (and should) use a soft muzzle on that dog. It doesn't matter if the dog bites down or not, the groomer has no way of knowing whether he will and must take precautions.

You could verify that it was a soft muzzle and not tape, but soft muzzles do not hurt or harm the dog in any way. My groomer often uses them, especially for cutting nails.

Thanks, Barb and Karen. I really don't know much about grooming beyond brushing and bathing her myself, so I just wanted to be sure that she's being treated kindly.

At one point I took the doodles in for nail cutting on occasion and they did use a soft muzzle. I hated to see it since my dogs would not bite I believe but I understood and it took 2 minutes if that. I bought a Bamboo trimmer, much better than my old one, and resumed doing it myself. Tomorrow Calla goes for her grooming and I am trying to be calm and optimistic.

It was most likely a "cloth muzzle".  These are fairly common in the grooming world (we had a grooming studio at the veterinary hospital I worked at YEARS ago.)  This would have been my first assumption, let's hope I''m correct.  But hey, it's your dog.....ask!

http://leerburg.com/clothmuzzle.htm?set=1

Thanks, especially for posting that link! I could definitely see why my neighbor might have seen that and thought it was tape. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service