DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

my Goldendoodle Daisy is almost 11 mos. my husband gave her a bath and I don't know what he did but she is matted, I have a slicker brush and a metal comb. just got a Christenson brush.

I am at a loss. I don't usually bathe her I let her get groomed. is there a shampoo you all recommend? also I saw something about a horse detangler but did not see the brand. I am new to owning a doodle and so glad I found this group.

Views: 413

Replies to This Discussion

First, make sure you brush her out BEFORE the bath because mats get tighter when they're wet. I use Chris Christensen spectrum 10 shampoo and conditioner. Then I blow dry them with a high velocity dryer and the brush (activet or Les Poochs),working from the bottom up (look up line brushing, you'll find videos)

Debbie, Daisy is at the age when puppies start to shed their puppy coats. If not given constant attention it will end up a matted mess.  Many people just end up having their doodles coats cut short during this time because it is such a task to keep it from matting. It's probably not anything your husband did but the nature of the coat. 

If you haven't been line brushing that is also very important for avoiding mats. Here is a short video on the subjuect:

I use AromaPaws shampoo and conditioner because it is chemical free but it's not going to help with dematting. If the mats have turned thick and felt-like due to the bath you may have no choice but to cut them out or cut the entire coat down or both and start over. Sorry. :(

thank you very helpful video. been brushing her all wrong

We never wash Ned ourselves - figured that out the hard way - mats and tangles everywhere!  Get some serious detangler and pretty much drench her in it, let it soak in, then brush.  I use Horse Mane 'n Tail Detangler spray.  It has silicone so the area will get very slippery - put her on a towel or sheet.  The problem I have is that when I spray Ned, he runs around, rolls, and rubs on everything so he leaves a slippery trail.

I see one on amazon by straight arrow in a yellow and blue bottle is that it? and yes I don't bathe mine either my husband did it while I was gone because he got her dirty arghh

Yup!

Prevent the matts from happening in the first place and you won't ever struggle with dematting or worrying about keeping up with brushing or combing.. My dog is either never matted or has minimal tangles that never take more than 10 minutes to brush out. You want to know my secret? I am very disciplined about getting the dog professionally groomed, every 5 weeks and I am willing to keep it at a shorter length to prevent matts and tangles. A longer length requires more upkeep that you must commit to maintaining . Matts are problematic and put the dog at risk for injury.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service