DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Cubbie had to go to the vet today for a dental cleaning (no matter how often I brush his teeth, they don't stay clean) and they had to shave part of his leg to put the IV in.  Last time they only shaved a small section but this time they decided to shave all the way around his leg.  I almost cried when I took his bandage off and saw how they had butchered his leg.  I had finally trimmed his legs to a point where I was really happy with the way they looked and then 4 short days later the vet went and ruined all my hard work.  I know that they need to see his leg but they couldn't have taken off less hair.  :(

If anyone has ANY ideas on how I can make his leg look even a little better please let me know.  At this point, I will do almost anything.  I am going to bath him again tomorrow and am going to clip him down using my #3 blade on his body but would really like to avoid taking his legs that short.  Any suggestions? 

Views: 566

Replies to This Discussion

We have an appointment to take Ollie in for a check up tomorrow, do you think it would be rude for me to ask them why they had to shave so much of Cubbie's leg?  Ollie is supposed to go in for a dental in November.  I am trying to decide if i should start growing his hair out so that it is really long by then and can just do a comb-over.  Maybe I should offer to shave his leg before I bring him in so that it is one less thing for them to have to worry about.  :)

I don't think it would be rude at all.  They have eyes and can see how silly they look with the shaved band around their leg.  Yes, I would want to do the "comb over" (good way to describe it).  I'm sure if you tell them and request it they will be happy to give it a try.  I have a feeling the reason they shave all the way around and such a large area is because when they insert the IV they need to tape it and the tube down to the leg and they don't want to have the hair in the way.  They need a smooth clean surface to make the tape adhere.  But I think the comb over is the way to go if they type of hair calls for it.  I know I will ask next time for Gracie Doodle!!!!

I do have to chuckle when I see Cubby's photo.  I had to laugh at Mimi's description of the old man!  Perfect!!!  Isn't it amazing how skinny our Doodle's legs are!!

I don't think so.  I was told it was so they only needed to shave one spot for the monitor and IV.
it was probably one of those " oh sh*t" moments..I would not say anything and see what the next one is like and bring the photo and whip it out after the procedure is done and ask why it was different?? yes I can be a b*tch..

Wow, that is naked. My vet shaves about 3 inches by 1 inch on one side. For the puppies, they don't shave at all. I think you should leave it alone. In a few days it will at least be black. You can do a comb over. Gradually with each trim you will get back to the great job you did.

I would have been pretty mad myself. Good thing it grows back.

We have a lady here who does cleaning without anesthetic. Apparently she is great. I almost never get my dog's teeth cleaned. They seem to stay nice with their raw food. My 5 and 6 year old dogs still look great. I decided to have their teeth cleaned when they were retired and I was spaying them. The vet said it took less than 5 minutes to clean Amber's teeth. Almost nothing to do and she was 5 1/2 at the time.

Cleaning Teeth! - we have a woman who flew in from California to my regular Vet's and did it non-anesthetic. (her name is Dahli - Houndstooth is company name) Awesome job, but for whatever reason I just heard yesterday she is not coming to my vet any more. so, the vets are going to give it a try. Koji's teeth really collect tartar, I've never had a dog that gathered so much tartar.I fed Koji raw for a year or 2 and he just got totally turned off to it. He can only eat rabbit or duck due to allergies, so I really can't prepare it - cost prohibitive. so, I brush his teeth, but not winning the battle. I'm doing research - I think it is a PH thing.

Oh Dear -

Well its still summer - I would shorten his body up all around, trim his legs (those beautiful black curls) all around with scissors, shears -  whatever you like to use. You'll still see the shave part for quite a while, but once the hair starts growing in -  it won't be such a contrast. Hopefully, his shiny clean teeth will distract from the shaved area!

I imagine they tape the IV once it is in to hole it secure, and that is why they had to shave so much.

it will grow back. A couple of time whn I am grooming Koji - I'm tired (it takes me 2 hours start to finish) and I'll go to trim a spot I missed and forget I don't have the comb on!!! I've done many a repair with my blending shears. But time is the key.

Nancy, I have the same problem with Cubbie's teeth.  I brush them about 5 times a week and have tried various dental products to try and keep the tarter under control but nothing seems to work.  The vet said that I am at least keeping it under control and that his teeth would be terrible if I wasn't doing anything but that doesn't make me feel much better.  I haven't brushed Ollie's teeth since we adopted him (2.5 months ago) because I'm still trying to get him to trust me and don't want to freak him out with a toothbrush but his teeth seem to be fine so far.  I am going to have to start looking around and see if I can find some place that can clean Cubbie's teeth without having to knock him out.

I just did a search for this very topic and came up with this discussion from last year.  Wally's vet did the same thing to Wally's leg in May, and it has only grown back about an inch so far.  It will take a full year until it is even close to back to looking like it did before his surgery.  I was so upset and annoyed when I saw the three-inch shaved band around his leg -- especially since I specifically asked them to not clip it that way when I brought him in.  

My puppy is scheduled to be spayed in a month, and I am going to ask them ahead of time if they intend to shave her leg for the IV.  If so, I'm actually thinking about bringing her elsewhere.  Wally had a procedure done at the animal hospital in Boston a while back, and you had to hunt to see where they put in the IV.  The area was almost invisible.  I'd really like to bring our puppy to our local vet's office, where I know and trust the doctor who will be doing the operation, but I don't want her leg to be shaved all the way around.  I am not worried about her spay surgery, but I am concerned about how her leg is going to look.  As I type this, I realize that this probably sounds ridiculous.  

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service