DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Before I took a grooming class, I thought I was doing a great job brushing my dog.

Just looking at him you couldn't tell he had mats, even my Les Poochs brush was

going through his fur.  However, it took seeing how a metal comb would not go through his fur

to understand I wasnt doing that great of a job.  I guess my groomer was really awesome

to take the time to get out the mats and not shave him because even though I brushed him before I took him to her, I now know he must have had tons of small mats. 

Combs don't lie and if a metal comb gets caught in your dogs fur - you will know where the

mats are.   Below is the type of comb I am talking about.

Views: 186

Replies to This Discussion

And you should try to get one the same quality that your groomer would use because otherwise they break!
I am using the same metal comb on Koda, and it goes through his hair with a few snags here and there, no major mats. So does that mean I don't need to invest in a Les Poochs brush? I was just checking out the prices on Doodle Country yesterday, these brushes are really quite pricey.
I like my Les Poochs brush but I think it only works a little better than a high quality slicker.
But, I am not a professional groomer and only groom my own dog.
Also when using the comb, there shoud be no snags.. snag = mat.
Julie - you only need to get what your dogs need. Dogs with high maintence coats really need the best tools you can get - it helps you out. BUT dogs that don't have all the tricky stuff to their coats need only the equipment you find helpful. There is a LesPouchs type brush that is $20 dollars or less made by MGT - just google MGT slicker brushes. They are flexible like LesPouchs but the bent tines ( a must for the thick coated doods) are only on one side rather than both. It doesn't have a flexibility choice, but it works quite well. I do have LesPouchs for Ned - actually two flexibility levels but for my new doodle an MGT would be just fine.
Combs are really important. Get a good one.
This comb has been wonderful for both my doodles. I used to use a brush and thought I was doing good, but this comb has made a HUGE difference. I comb them exclusively. I do keep the hair in their armpits cut short, but the comb keeps them 95% mat free.
I just talked to my groomer about this last week. I am always proud that Lilly is not matted when I take her to be groomed and this time the groomer said I need to start taking a comb through her, not just a brush. All along I thought I was doing a good job. She said down close to her skin she was getting little matts and a brush just goes over top of them.
This is why I have said from day one of this group, that brushing should be called combing. It would send more of the right message.
Barb, (you wrote the info on the main grooming page, right?)

I didnt even notice but you clearly said it on the main page:
" I comb where I brushed. If the comb won't go thru, I start again. I work thru the whole coat in this fashion." It would be good for anyone wanting to groom their dogs to read the main pages info
and read it again. Good info on there.

I just think sometimes DIY/newbie groomers (like me) just dont get it. Comb and Brush are different.
You have to get all the way to the skin. Buy a comb, they cost less than $10. If the comb does not snag then your dog wont get shaved because of mats.
I thought I was doing a great job of brushing Charli. Then I had a foster doodle for a day and his new family didn't need the comb he came with. The comb was closer and being the lazy soul I am I used it instead of the brush. I got a huge surprise!! No mats but did find a lot of knots - mostly with mulch and twigs attached. I do use the brush for a quick groomed look when we are going out but now the comb stayes on the nightstand so there are no excuses.
Is there a particular brand of these combs you would recommend?
So what type/size comb do you buy? I see some on the "Doodle Country" website... a 4.5", a 7.5" and a 10" -- a couple are noted to be "anti-static" and then on another page they have one made by the Les Poochs people that looks a lot like the others but they want $140 for it!! For a comb!!!

So I would like to get the "right" kind... but really don't want to spend $140. ;) I also don't have a Les Pooch brush either and was thinking of getting one. My pup is only 5 months old and for now it seems like the human brush I am using works OK and nothing seems to be matted and he has had 2 puppy grooming sessions and they seem to have been able to fluff him out with no issues. I intend to keep using a groomer for nails, face trimming, coat trims, etc. because I just don't trust that I know what I am doing enough to do it all myself... but I assume having my own comb & brush is still a good idea, right? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
It sounds like you are on the right track, Jennifer. I got my metal combs from my groomer. I offered to buy them but she just gave them to me so I don't think they could be too expensive. The combs in the pet stores seem to break - even if they are metal. Many doodles don't have huge grooming issues and many do. Just be aware that as your pup matures, there will probably be at least a difficult stage. If it never happens, great. But if it does you will be on top of it.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service