DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Chewie just got his first shorter summer cut. He is almost 10 months old.  He really did not matt with his hair longer.  Now that his coat is nice and short he has become a matted mess on his chest.  Do some doodles actually matt more with shorter fur?  He has a wavy coat.  Also, what would be the best product to use to try and get out all of his matts?

Views: 134

Replies to This Discussion

You poor thing! Maple is better after groomed short but this website is living testimony to the differences in doodles. I like Liquid Slicker spray after a bath or rinse. In fact, we wanted to take the girls swimming in the river this past weekend, but I forgot to pack the spray and so the swim didn't happen. I've also learned the benefit of combing first before brushing to work out the mats.
I am going to look into the Liquid Slicker. Thanks for the info!
As Chewie is 10 months old what you could be seeing is a result of the coat change and not necessarily anything to do with the haircut. During the next few months you are going to need to really be on top of the combing out to avoid all the matts.
Truer words were never spoken, I think it's the coat change. Shorter hair makes getting the matts out easier.
just when you think you've conquered it - it can still be changing. I read on DK that it can take more than a year to completely switch over :(
It can take a long time, but thorough, regular combing can shorten the time considerably. The worst can me over in 2 or 3 good groomings and can ease up after that.
Yikes - I was afraid that might be it. I am not sure if I am going to be able to get those matts out. They are way down to his skin all ready! Thank you for the info. I am going to have to be more diligent about combing him. I don't want the rest of his body to get matted like his chest.
In my experience, key places to watch closely are the chest area, behind and underneath the ears, the arm pits, elbows and the collar area. Of course there is a possibility of matting all over, but these areas were the worst for me.
Thank you - I just called my Tractor Supply store and I going to get some Show Sheen detangler and hopefully that will help to work out his knots. I am going home to check out the other areas that you mentioned to make sure they are not getting bad too!
Please give us your critic of Show Sheen after you use it, OK?
Will do!
It is not working well at all!!! Chewie is a matted mess. I am going to search best way to get our matts. They are all the way to his skin on his chest! Ugh !!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service