DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

It's still summer, but the rainy season approacheth here in the Pacific NW.  Cedar's paws are mud magnets.  Right now I just hose her off after the hikes we take every day.  I thought I would pick the brains of others who had gone through muddy paw syndrome.  That hair just attracts mud.  My golden retriever/yellow lab Maggie(lost her last Oct.) was pretty easy to do with the short hair on her feet.  I did have boots for her that I used when we hiked places with sharp rocks(obsidian), but they didn't stay on(Ruffwear boots).  I was wonder if anyone had a muddy paw secret.  Should I shear her feet.  That would make her look really weird.  I "muck-luck" feet the way they are, but if it makes daily life simpler.  What have others done to combat this?

Mike

Views: 332

Replies to This Discussion

How lucky you are to have a trail that is almost all yours.
Awesome trail... AND dog! We have a linear park trail (an old railroad line that has been converted to a long, winding path/linear park) not far from our house that runs a good 11 miles one way . Those trails are paved (for bikers) and are great for walking and biking with Lucy (with a bike leash). They wear that girl out fast, especially when biking. Your picture reminds me of the way a part of the path looked before they paved it.
Oh Debb, be very careful using a bike leash with your dog.  I have had so many friends injured by riding their bikes with dogs on leash.  Broken collarbones is the most common injury, but my dog just passed in front of my bike once and flipped me right over.  We have used the "rails to trails" paths before and they are great, but try it with your dog off leash.
We actually have a Walkie Dog bike leash, which keeps the actual leash part short so the dog can't run in front. It has a spring as well on the bike attachment to prevent the rider from toppling over if the dog strains on the leash. Lucy runs right in one constant position when I bike, with a nice steady gait. We also use a special harness on her while biking which allows her chest to do the majority of the pulling (or rather, pushing) if she charges ahead of the bike's speed, rather than putting the pressure on her neck. Its all very safe.
WOW!  If I had a trail like that near my house, I would be out walking every day also.  It looks like a poster.

If I had a place like this near my house, I would never be home...Beautiful!!

I very much like the idea of trimming the feet and then just letting the hair flop down to cover the trim - going to try that.

Also - my sister-in-law has trained all her dogs to wipe their feet when they come into the house.  A riot, but it works.

I have frequent "paw problems" not because of the mud here,  but because of the sand and the water at the beach.  The dogs also like to wade in water wherever they see it.  What I do is I have a pail for washing the cars.  I fill it with warm water and shampoo.  The boys need to dunk one paw at a time and then I dry the paw off with a Shamwow.  It soaks up most of the moisture on the feet.  When I finish with one dog, I do the other.  This is in the laundry room with a cement floor so it doesn't matter how much water we spill.  When they both have had their feet cleaned, I let them outside to run and play and dry off a little.  So, all you really need is a large pail, some shampoo, and some Shamwow towels.  So I guess I am a paw dripping person, but it works for me.
We had alot of trouble with muddy paws also. We use the paw plunger. Love it! It has been one of my best purchases. Easy to use and you will be shocked when you see what the water looks like!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service