DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Charli has a very thick beard. I do not want to change the shape in any way at all but
I am wondering if there is a way for me to thin it out with clippers. A particular comb attachment? blade?
Thanks for your help,
Adrianne
BTW - what a difference it makes in having the right equipment! I had a cheap set of clippers which were impossible to use on her. Now with the Andis Professional and the small size combs (I had the longer ones) grooming her was a breeze. I did spend over 2 hours just combing her legs to make sure there wasn't 1 knot. I was sold 'Isle of Dogs' conditioning mist which really helped to get the knots out easier. If anyone has some other leave-in detangler to recommend I would love to hear about it!

Views: 105

Replies to This Discussion

I always trim Duff's face with scissors. I would use thinning shears, but I'm afraid I won't get all the hair out and it will matt, plus I usually trim him with his head on my lap and I can't really see what I'm doing and I get hair everywhere if I'm not carefull. I over did it a litttle this weekend. He looks like he got a summer cut on his face.
I agree that thinning shears are the way to go if all that you are trying to do is thin Charli's beard. Clippers are designed to shorten the hair versus thin it out, so they won't really accomplish the desired result. It sounds as though you did a great job clipping him this weekend. You're right about having good equipment making the job
much easier.
Not much help from me. I started out today to trim Quincy all over. I trimmed his face and head using scissors and thinning shears to take the square edges off. I ended up only doing his head and now he looks a little lopsided. It costs me $175 at the groomers so I thought I'de give it a try. I have no idea what I am doing so the groomers it is. I didn't take too much off so they have lots left to work with.
IMHO I think she'd look great with more on top and less on the bottom. If you shortened the beard you might not have to thin it.
I don't cut Ned at all as I am all thumbs! But I think Charli might need less one long length with thinning? You do such a nice job on Samantha that I know you will figure out how to get the look you want. This type of coat is more challenging isn't it? But it is more forgiving on mistakes.
There is so much bulk on her face I was hoping just to thin it a bit.
F - if I take it shorter without thinning it she will look like a chipmunck with the mumps. You are right that does need to be shorter but I want to do both at the same time.
Nancy - Samantha's coat is a dream! Just a snip between her eyes and a snip to shorten her beard is all the she requires on a routine basis. Takes about 45seconds to brush her - TG for that.
Is there a blade that thins?
I think the mumps part comes more from the sides than from the beard. I do think thinning shears might help in these ares and keeping both "cheeks" and beard shorter might help. Hopefully Barb will chime in after recovering from the celebration for the hockey win.
Adrianne - get yourself a good pair of thinning shears - that's what I use on Maci. I got them at a beauty supply store here locally. I still can't believe how big Charli has gotten. How much does she weigh now?
Charli weighs about 43 lbs but is close to 26" tall!
How do you use the thinning shears on her face?
I have this same question about the thinning shears ...... how do you use them!
The thinning shears have teeth so only the hair in between the teeth gets cut leaving some hair longer than others thus thinning . The shorter the original cut the bigger the difference between length which really is thinning. I mostly use them to avoid getting a straight line, choppy look on Calla so I don't take off much. You can go and cut multiple times which thins more. Just be very careful, the hair gets stuck in the teeth and if you use bare fingers to quickly swipe it out you cut your fingers : ( I got a pair online that has, I think 48 teeth. I spent about $70 all told but I was advised to get good ones by several people on DK, including Ivy Bates , who grooms doodles. The ones I got were from Gators, by Geib. You can spend lots of money but these work well. If you did all your cutting with these it would take forever. I just use them on the face.
I only use scissors to trim/groom my guys, but thinning shears do wonders. I found out when I had my newfie that all thinning shears are not created equal. The spaces between the cutting part of the scissor blade were too far apart in first pair I bought at PetsMart . I ended up going to a beauty supply and getting some good thinning shears that didn't cost a fortune. :-)

BTW Charli is adorable.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service