DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi all!  This is Barkley

He is 6 weeks in these pics, and coming home with us in two days!!  I have no clue how to begin to guess what type of coat he currently has (more pics of him on my profile page), and what type of coat he will have when older.

So- What type of grooming supplies do I need for his puppy stage?  Shampoo?  Toothbrush/paste?  Ear stuff?  

I have bought all the other essentials and I am stumped as to what I need for grooming purposes.  

Views: 135

Replies to This Discussion

Start simply by getting some puppy shampoo or oatmeal shampoo, very gentle. Also, toothbrush and paste so he gets used to you messing with his mouth.  A soft brush and comb you can use everyday because he will have a lifetime of grooming. Bamboo makes a comb that has rotating times that I like. Dogs have to get used to all the stuff we do so if you do it right away it becomes routine.  You will want to get some cotton balls and wipes and clean the ear flaps once a week or so.  Both of my puppies had yeast infections which required more vigorous daily cleaning. I use one with Tea Tree oil that was recommended by my breeder.  If you comb them out regularly you will get ahead of the dreaded mats.  Later on you can decide if you want to buy clippers etc.

Is there a certain toothbrush/paste you recommend?  

He is adorable! Congratulations!   And, Welcome Barkley!

awww, thanks :)

Your dog is beautiful and I love the name. I think at this stage just getting him use to the soft brushes

and combs is good. A little bit at a time-he will not sit long, and stay calm. You are setting up how

he will behave in his future.

He should not need much grooming this young-clean his ears and the sleepy stuff that may get around inside

corner of his eyes. Check the pads of his feet often so nothing gets buried in them.-Have fun !!

He is just so stinking cute I want to squeeze him! Hunter can't wait to meet him :-)  One thing I would recommend is unscented natural baby wipes because at that age they are so close the ground that they can get a little yucky from peeing, just wipe him after he pees :-) It keeps them clean and from getting any infection.  Hunter LOVED the water from the moment she saw her first mud puddle, so by the time she was 4 months old I had to get the ear cleaner from the vet, you just squirt it in their ears after swimming and it stays in there.  Hunter swims a ton and has never had an ear infection.  I will get the name of it for you, I don't have it with me right now.  This isn't part of grooming but I would also get a can of natural pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) but just natural pumpkin - I just got it at Giant Eagle I think.  It will help if he gets an upset stomach or diarreah which is easy to do when they are so little and go through the change of a new home.  It works miracles, hopefully you won't need it though.  :-)

Thank you Denise!  I can't wait for Barkley to get his shots done with so we can meet up!!!!

ohhh...he IS a young-in at 6 weeks!!  I'll be getting mine at 8 weeks.  I'm no expert, obviously, with grooming so I'll leave that to others!  Good luck!  He is so cute!
Yes!  He'll be 7 weeks when we get him- he already looks big :)
such great info for all we new puppy owners to be!
He is just the cutest♥♥♥  His paws look huge, how big do you think he will get?
I know, don't they?  I am telling myself that maybe its the angle lol.  DH hope he gets BIG like 70 lbs plus.  I am hoping he stays a bit smaller than that..... we shall see :)  Mom is a standard poodle 55 lbs Dad is a retriever around 80 lbs

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service